Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Ranger (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-ranger-16/)
-   -   Ranger Performance (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-ranger-16/ranger-performance-591/)

coolt2190 03-09-2005 02:19 AM

Ranger Performance

I just got a 96 ford ranger 4x4 with the 4.0 liter engine. and i was wondering what performance mods are worth doing. computer chips, exhaust, and anything else. Im looking for more power and increased gas mileage. currently i am only getting about 16mpg. any help would be greatly apreciated.

yzf6jb 03-16-2005 02:43 AM

RE: Ranger Performance

you can check out airraid they make a throttle body spacer for $105 and gibson makes a pretty sweet cat back system for $275 jets got a good deal on chips, sorry thats all i got.hope that helped

jackson_turney 03-30-2005 12:17 PM

They also make a supercharger or a turbocharger for the 4.0 (can't remember which)
That and make sure it doesnt need a tune up (no offense intended)

94Ford4.0 08-20-2005 05:19 PM

Air intakes help a load don't know much about gas milage (i really don't want milage jut power) i run intake and flowmater...Soon to be new throttle body throttle body spacer superchip and new fuel injectors...

94Ford4.0 08-23-2005 02:14 PM

What about this Turbo..how much is it where can i find it how hard would it be for me to put in???

Ramrod48 08-23-2005 04:11 PM

Hate to crash the party--- more power an more fuel economy dont go hand an hand

cctxfish 08-23-2005 09:48 PM

Are you against projects like this? I'd like to know how it turns out :D. Had an aquantance at work who was all into up grading HP in his Ford Lightning. I think NOS is the cheapest eaistest up grade that can be done.

94Ford4.0 09-02-2005 02:15 PM

After looking on the the net-extenstivly- i have noticed that there isn't a whole lot of 'bolt on' parts
you have the exhaust-headers-the converter
you have the intake throttle body and throttle body spacer and chips
the cheaper stuff such as spark plug wires ignition and other various things
you have more extreme things like a turbo or a nos system
but is there anything more?

cctxfish 09-02-2005 02:58 PM

dunna I keep things stock [sm=imsorry.gif]

Ramrod48 09-02-2005 03:16 PM

Well -- what else you looking fer , thats all kinda standard to any vechile !!!!!!, You can allways yank the motor an take her down get it bored out , bigger pistons , But I really dont know what you THINK , you may want ????? , I kinda take it your new to the whole Automobile thing ?? Oh dont fer get Superchargers/ blowers , should be one fer your vechile !!!!

[sm=nxsmile.gif],,, Takes a lil work but you could drop a 460 in there !!!!!

[sm=icon_rock.gif]