Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

Starting Problems - Wiring Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 01:25 AM
Default Starting Problems - Wiring Help

I have a 1991 Ranger 2.3L, 4 cyl w/ 8 plugs. I bought the truck 6 months ago and on and off it would not start. It rarely happened and I would look under the hood, pull the fuses to check them and it would usually start after that. Now it won't start at all.

The battery is fine (12.8 V). All wires to the starter have great continutiy (resistance is low).

When I was troubleshooting, I did find a very loose bolt with a couple of ground wires connected so tightenend it up. Since then, not only does it not start but it will throw a spark from the postive battery post. Obviosuly something is conneceted wrong.

I've double checked the wires going to and from thestarter and solenoid. Everything appears to be connected correct according to the wiring schematicwith the exception of one unusal wire.

Next to the starter solenoid on the engine wallnear the battery is the ground bolt I tighetend . Connected to it is the ground wiring coming from the ignition (small) and a black wire (medium sized). This black wire heads towards the starter with the other wires from the batter but is connected / grounded to the chasis.

Is this right? I cannot find it on the schematic and it doesn't make sense.

Can anyone give me some help or guidance. Is this black wire the problem? Is it supposed to ground something else? Someone with a 90/91 Ranger, can you take a look and check the wiring to the bolt next to the starter solenoid. The Haynes is not specific enough. I disconnected the wires to the starter solenoid also but I swear I connected them correctly, maybe a little help there also

thanks - Scott

Old 04-04-2007, 02:44 AM
Default RE: Starting Problems - Wiring Help

First - I'd make sure none of the positive cable wires are leading to a place where itthey ground easily. Black wires usually connect to a chassis ground - but can be part of a circuit where it doesn't ground right exactly where it is in the circuit now. Look to see if it may have come loose from where you thought it did. More than the positive cable should be plugged to positive at the solenoid to boot - or it won't start. There should be more than one full time positive connection at the solenoid and you may have multiple wires connecting to it. Sometimes a wire with a big hole in the middle accidentally gets changed to a small connecting stud during reassembly.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:38 PM

I've checked the postive cables, all seem to be fine with no visible insulation rubbed through. Very low resistance (less than 1 ohm between battery connection and satrter or starter rely)

From the relay (between the battery and the fuse box) one samll wire comes from the key switch, one wire goes to the starter, one wire goes to the fuse box, and one wire comes from the battery. The wire from the battery and the wire going to the fuse box are connected to the same large post on the relay. It looks like a classic relay setup.

The strange black wire is connected to a bolt on the wall next to the relay and follows the wires going towards the starter excpet t stops and is gorunded on the chasis frame under the battery. This is the one that does not make sense to me. It is a medium sized black wire with a round connection that is connected to the same bolt near the relay that the ground wire from the key switch is connected to.

I can email a picture if need be or if some one can email a picture of their setup to me, it would be appreciated. I am going to hit a couple of used car yards this weekend to look at their setups.

When I turn on the key, I get a spark form the positive battery connection and the truck doesnt start. I am also going to switch out the batttery connector on the side on the chance that is the issue

Old 04-05-2007, 03:52 PM

Well, I checked a junk yard over lunch and found a couple of trucks near my year/model. The wiring is exactly like it is on my truck with the exception that the alternator is moved near the battery and wired directly to the starter relay. I'll check mine at home to see how it is conencted.

As for the mysterious black wire. On the two trucks, both had it connected to the ground with the key switch and the other end of the black wire was grounded to the chasis like mine.

So I am back to square one with a short in a circuit somewhere.

I am going to pullall of the wires, the relay and the starter offto see if they are good. I'll check the wires closely and "jump start" the starter to make sure it runs with a connection directly to the battery.

Any thoughts on how to check if the relay is any good? I've heard of "jumping" the two large poles to see if the starter engages. Will that do it?

Old 04-23-2007, 12:56 AM

Follow up/close out - Got the truck fixed. After doing all of the checking, I replaced the starter solenoid and the truck fires right up and runs strong. The wire grounded to the bolt next to the solenoid is supposed to be there (was exactly the same as a bunch of trucks in the salvage yard).