Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

Tonneau Covers

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 02:02 AM
Default Tonneau Covers

Just a little piece of information. Tonneau covers no longer save money on gas mileage. The auto makers are designing trucks so that the wind doesnt need a tonneau cover to flow smoothly. This really sucks seeing how the cover makes you truck look cleaner.

Old 01-12-2006, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Tonneau Covers

If that is the case, I wouldn't think having it on would make it worse either, so if you like the look go for it.

Old 01-13-2006, 05:38 PM

i have heard that too.... and i also heard that you all know the mith about put your tail gate down and you will get better gas mileage. not true because when they designed your particular truck they designed it with the tail gate up in fuel mileage. you actually get worse mileage when its down because it disrupts airflow directing it down into the box.

i have a hard taneau cover on my truck and love it. simply because it keeps all my crap dry and it looks good.

Old 01-15-2006, 03:11 AM

So heres how it goes since the begining of time trucks have been designed with the same key thing in mind, space continuem vortex.
what is it? when your truck is going down the high way your beds open space creates its own pocket of air called a space continuem voretex SPC for short this bubble keeps to its self with the tailgait UP Creating lesser drag due to air moving over the truck keeping its straight flow not needing to fill in an open space that is filled by the slower moving air once the tailgate id dropped this pocket of slower moving air ais now able to escape due alowwing the over head air to cause a drag affect from the need of air replacment behind the back wall of the trucks cab drag thus creates worse gas mileage and worse aero dynamics this can be proven by the car dealerships themselves
Therefore the theory of keep the tailgate down for better gas mileage is false it is infact better to keep it up for better better power and mileage
Secondly this theory also falsifies the theory of a hard or soft tonneau cover improving gas milage for the cover closing off the open space ther the SPC to form air is forced to fill the space behind the cab creating same crappy mileage for your truck as a down tailgate
This also goes with bed caps and those old ****ty campers as well they both create a worser drag in the rear of the truck due to the bigger space needing to be filled
but im out of time and got to go theres your info its all been proven so beleive or not have fun and later

Old 01-15-2006, 09:49 PM

what is the purpose of getting a truck so you have space to haul stuff and then go ahead and cover it?

Old 01-16-2006, 01:36 PM

tonneau covers are there to give your truck a sleaker look as long as proving to be useful when going home with something that cant get wet and wont fit in your little van or car
maybe sheetrock
or maybe even what i used it for the 56" flat screen sitting in my room right now think befor you say something they have a reason bud

Old 01-23-2008, 07:30 PM

i just got a checkmate fx fiberglass cover. man they looks awesome. who care about saving fuel or not. if you are into rugged looking truck then do not buy tonneau period.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:27 AM

Tonneau cover is a must-buy stuff to all pickups. Reminds me when I had to buy for one, but I didn't even know what one was right at that point. When I had one, it gives a great look to my empty truck bed. By now, I was kinda thinking of changing my old car cover. Got visited great sites of car covers online today.