Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

Transmission and 4 x 4 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 01:06 AM
Default Transmission and 4 x 4 Problems

Hey folks I have a 1997 Ford Ranger Ext Cab 4 x 4. The check engine light came on, and it stays on all the time now, but I went to a advance auto parts store and the computer said I had transmission problems. I changed the oil and filter and the check engine light went off and the truck shifted gears really well. Now the check engine light is on again and the truck is having a very hard time shifting to other gears. The truck is automatic with only 70,000 miles. It feels like sometimes the transmission is going to fall out because when it shifts is starts and the engine rpm will go up and it finally shifts and it kicks hard. Now it shifts so hard between gears. I am starting to wonder if my computer in my truck is going bad. The check engine light is on, the door ajar light is on and sometimes beep when the truck is in motion. The dome light stays on and the key in the ignition alarm stays on.

My 4x4 is having problems as well. When I engage the 4x4 it will engage sometimes, but the it pops real loud in the front and you can feel it kick out of 4x4 and then it will catch again. The 4x4 turn switch in the cab sometimes works and engages but then the 4x4 lights will blink and the truck is not in 4x4. I feel like I am losing my truck. When I disengage the 4x4 it sounds like a grounding wheel in my front wheels. PLEASE HELP. HEY ALSO WHAT WOULD DOES IT SOUND LIKE WHEN YOU ARE SITTING STILL AT A RED LIGHT AND PULL OUT AND IT FEELS LIKE YOUR REAR END OF THE TRUCK IS JUST CATCHING UP. SOMETHING ENGAGES WHEN I PULL OUT IN A SITTING POSITION AT A STOP SIGN OR RED LIGHT. FEELS LIKE A LOT OF LOOSE SLACK OR SOMETHING LOOSE. PLEASE HELP