Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

Upper control arm hits spring tower when at full droop.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2023, 05:38 PM
Default Upper control arm hits spring tower when at full droop.

Hello I looking for some advice. I installed a 2” leveling kit on my 2001 ford ranger xlt 2wd v6 3.0. The front has coil spacers and bigger shackles on the back. I noticed after installing, it makes a loud bang noise when going over bumps and pot holes. I could be going 5 mph over a speed bump and it makes this loud noise. If I go slow enough it won’t make the noise. I turned the tire to one side to see what’s going on and I noticed the ball joint on the Upper control arm is almost touching the spring tower. I jacked it up and took the tire off and the ball joint is completely touching the top of the spring tower. Also noticed there’s a small scratch on both the spring bodies themselves. I don’t know if the spring is hitting the shock. I don’t know what going on . Do I need new UCA ?

On ground not jacked up

On jack stands

On jacks

Shock scratched

Not on jack .

Last edited by andrewg8; 03-28-2023 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-30-2023, 04:51 AM

Anytime you start messing with the ride height you can expect some issues. I would never do it.

The UCA isn't bad if the ball joint is not sloppy. From your pics, the UCA looks to be hit from the frame when the suspension is worked . If you did not have this problem before your modication, the raise kit is to blame. Maybe there are additional items with different dimensions needed to accomodate your lift kit.If the knuckle which the upper ball joint fastens to were longer you wouldn't have the problem.That would raise the control arm. I have seen those upper ball joints before and I can say yours is sitting **** eyed because of the additional height.Not seeing in person, we are just guessing.

Last edited by raski; 03-30-2023 at 05:03 AM.