Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

Wiper system problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 02:28 PM
Default Wiper system problem

Hi all;

The wipers in my '84 have gone wacky!!

Got both low & high speeds ( don't have the intermittent option system ), they frequently continue to run after I shut 'em off, running for a few seconds to several minutes before finally shutting off. Once in a while I must shut of the engine "at the right time" to get the wipers to shut off(" park").

Checked the wiper switch (in the column), it's OK. Motor/gearbox work fine, no suspicious noises of any kind.

What's going on???

I live in the Pacific Northwest area where working wipers are a MUST !!!!

Thanks for any suggestions.

Nick

Old 11-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Default RE: Wiper system problem

Some how your wipers are still getting power, either thru the switch or something in the motor or wiring is not right

Old 11-11-2007, 06:49 AM

How did you check the wiper switch in the colum? My first thing on the list would be the wiper switch if the high work and low work. when you turn it to the intermittent setting do they still run high, lowor do they stop completely?

Old 11-11-2007, 12:52 PM

I did a voltage check at both switch and motor connectors, I'm getting voltage readings, but don't know what they should be.

Since I don't have intermittent option, it's not a concern - though I'd like to find out how to add that function to my wiper system, it'd come in handy here in the soggy Pacific Northwest.

Friend said something about a problem he had, about a "park" thingie in the motor/gearbox that enables the wipers to run until they reach the "not using them" position. Anyone familiar with that??

Oh yeah - I did replace the wiper switch from another Ranger, it made no difference. Perhaps I've got to replace that motor/gearbox unit ??

This is not what I need during our rainy winters!!!!