Ford Sport Trac SUV seating and versatility meets the compact pickup truck in this crossover.

Class III Hitch - outrageous price

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 12:28 PM
Default Class III Hitch - outrageous price

I just bought a 2007 Sport Trac V8. It came standard with a Class II hitch. I want to put a Class III hitch and was STUNNED when I found out the cost.

The popular hitch companies, Draw tight, Reese, Hidden Hitch don't even carry them. It's a Ford only part and they charge (are you sitting down), $1,010.00 for the hitch only! More $$ for installation and 7 pin wiring of course. I'm looking at $1,500 (including the brake controller) for something that would cost me $500.00 max on any other vehicle. Ford should be ashamed!

Now, understand that I've towed many trailers in my day and have had 1/2 dozen hitches installed on my trucks over the years. I'm not new to this by any means. I figured that I would get the truck and have a hitch installed - like I've always done.

Imagine my surprise when I found this out. Apparently, the '07 Sport Tracs have integrated hitches. They are part of the frame and are needed to complete the structural integrety of the new, 444% stiffer frame. I certainly wish someone at Ford would have told me this when I bought it. There IS an option for a Class III/IV hitch for $295.00. I told my salesman that I wanted to change the hitch to a class III when I bought it. He said (of course) I should have no problem doing that.

Has anyone run into this issue and do you have any suggestions? Does any one know where I can get a Class III hitch for a reasonable price?

By the way, other than this issue, I LOVE THE TRUCK!!!

Old 09-24-2007, 07:16 AM
Default RE: Class III Hitch - outrageous price

Update: Well, the bad news is in. The Class II hitch is welded to the frame. I have ordered a new Class III hitch and will be briging it to the dealer for installation this week. They have to cut off the old and weld on the new.

Hitch: $1,010.00
Installation: $350.00
Hanging the old Class II hitch on my wall: Priceless

ORIGINAL: justjimmy

I just bought a 2007 Sport Trac V8. It came standard with a Class II hitch. I want to put a Class III hitch and was STUNNED when I found out the cost.

The popular hitch companies, Draw tight, Reese, Hidden Hitch don't even carry them. It's a Ford only part and they charge (are you sitting down), $1,010.00 for the hitch only! More $$ for installation and 7 pin wiring of course. I'm looking at $1,500 (including the brake controller) for something that would cost me $500.00 max on any other vehicle. Ford should be ashamed!

Now, understand that I've towed many trailers in my day and have had 1/2 dozen hitches installed on my trucks over the years. I'm not new to this by any means. I figured that I would get the truck and have a hitch installed - like I've always done.

Imagine my surprise when I found this out. Apparently, the '07 Sport Tracs have integrated hitches. They are part of the frame and are needed to complete the structural integrety of the new, 444% stiffer frame. I certainly wish someone at Ford would have told me this when I bought it. There IS an option for a Class III/IV hitch for $295.00. I told my salesman that I wanted to change the hitch to a class III when I bought it. He said (of course) I should have no problem doing that.

Has anyone run into this issue and do you have any suggestions? Does any one know where I can get a Class III hitch for a reasonable price?

By the way, other than this issue, I LOVE THE TRUCK!!!

Old 09-24-2007, 02:56 PM

Reese now makes a class III hitch. http://search.cartserver.com/search/...c&GO=GO%21

Old 09-24-2007, 03:33 PM

Still not the right hitch. The link you sent was for 2005. They make no hitch for 07 and 08 models. There was no 2006 model.

Thanks anyway

Old 11-05-2007, 08:25 AM

I did a class II to class III/IV changout this last weekend. I still need to change the wiring harness. Anyone wanting pictures or the installation instructions, I have them. I also have invoices with the correct part numbers and prices.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:22 AM

Hi All,

I could use some details as I have to have this done soon. I know that I have to have the old one cut off. Do I have to have the new one welded in or bolted in?

-E

Old 08-12-2009, 03:50 PM

Hi,

I just bought 2009 with a class II hitch, and I got the same unpleasant surprise. I thought that changing out the class II for a class III/IV hitch would be a simple, inexpensive upgrade. If the hitch is integrated in the frame, would it be possible to retool only the receiver, replacing the 1-1/4" receiver with a 2"? My dealer suggested welding a 2" receiver beneath the 1-1/4" one, but that won't look very good.

Thanks for any advice, if anybody has found a way to resolve this issue.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:35 PM
Default 2007 Sport Trac hitch

Originally Posted by Brad
I did a class II to class III/IV changout this last weekend. I still need to change the wiring harness. Anyone wanting pictures or the installation instructions, I have them. I also have invoices with the correct part numbers and prices.
Yes, please send me all the info you have. Thanks.... Larry

Old 10-05-2012, 09:13 AM
Default Sport Trac Help

Originally Posted by Brad
Please send details and pics. I just bought the truck and need to change the hitch. Poolcam

Old 10-06-2012, 11:45 AM

I would like to see the details also.... Larry

Quick Reply: Class III Hitch - outrageous price