Ford Sport Trac SUV seating and versatility meets the compact pickup truck in this crossover.

Questions - frame strength / composite bed problems?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 01:56 AM
Default Questions - frame strength / composite bed problems?

I don't currently own a Sport Trac, but am thinking about it. I spend most of my on-line time over at Audi Forums.com ( 2000 A6 Avant ),
My wife drives a 2003 Explorer XLT, so I'm familiar with the basic product.
I have three questions for you owners out there in cyberspace.
To preface #1, a little background. I am an auto insurance claims analyst by profession, and in my travels one day I came upon a ST at a body shop that had been in a crash. Now this crash was severe emough to warrant replacement of the frame, so the shop had taken the body and bed unit off the frame to swap it out. This was the first 'bare' ST frame I had seen, and I was suprised at the LACK of frame crossemebers in the middle area of the wheelbase. --Has anyone experienced severe frame damage ( twisted or what is commonly called a 'diamond' condition ); or had their frame 'racked' ( twisted laterally like a partial corkscrew )
#2 - Any problems with the composite bed - cracking of the material; flaking paint, etc.
#3 - What gas mileage can I expect - similar to my Explorer?

Old 11-28-2006, 04:32 PM
Default RE: Questions - frame strength / composite bed problems?

I've had mine for a couple of years now and have never had a problem with frame flex and I use it to pull some heavy trailers. (#5000 or less) As far as the bed I was a little weary about it when it was new, but I've hualed all kinds fo stuff in it (atv's,camping sply's,ect...) and haven't done much more than scuffed it up. The gas mileage is very close to the regular explorer. (V6) The only complaint is the back seat is suppose to be a 3 passenger area (and it is if your butt is less than 10 inches wide) and if you a baby seat you can't sit anybody next to it and still be able to buckle up. Overall though its been a pretty good lil truck. Hope this helps . If you have anymore questions just ask.