Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

2005 Taurus, how often should I replace/ clean fuel injectors ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 03:02 AM
Default 2005 Taurus, how often should I replace/ clean fuel injectors ??

I was skimming through some of the ford Taurus bad fuel economy posts and I've went and am still going through the same issue. I have a 2005 Taurus that I bought in May of 2006 and had 22000 miles. Within the first month is when my issue started. I would go from a full tank of gas to empty in 42-50 miles. This happened twice and I was convinced it was gas leaking. The dealership in which I got this car said I was "overreacting and fabricating" until I showed up and let the technicians take her out. It's been 2 years, and I've only been able to drive my car for 8 months (had been driving rental cars more then my own !) The fuel injectors have been cleaned 3 times and replaced twice. Now there's 45000 miles and I'm being told they either need to be replaced or cleaned again. This was covered in my factory warranty and not in the certified pre-owned one. I paid for this once and I dont think they should be replaced or have to be cleaned this often. My car has no pick up.. and usually takes 3-5 minutes to start (which I'm sure is a whole other issue, that Ford called "normal")

I was kicked off the property of where I purchased the car because I said they might as well throw a match to it because it's completely useless to me.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 06-27-2008, 09:19 AM
Default RE: 2005 Taurus, how often should I replace/ clean fuel injectors ??

Has anybody checked for a leaking FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR? This will cause fuel to leak into the vacuum system and be eaten by the engine causing a sever loss of MPG. It will also cause hard starts as the engine is basically being flooded. Another thing would be for the O2 sensors reporting TOO MUCH OXYGEN in the exhaust to the computer. The O2 would scan OK as they are reporting a voltage that the computer recognizes. However, TOO MUCH OXYGEN geing reported in the exhaust will cause the computer to increase the pulse width of the injectors causing more fuel to be injected to try and maintain a 14.7:1 AIR/FUEL ratio.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Default RE: 2005 Taurus, how often should I replace/ clean fuel injectors ??

Its very important that every fuel injector should be cleaned once in a year. It would be better if you use a clean gas that saves the vehicle and keep it in a good condition.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clean Gas