Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

97 taurus 3.0 auto transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 03:27 PM
Default 97 taurus 3.0 auto transmission problem

Hi everyone, i have a problem whit the tranny of this car, it suddenly stops in a light, no reverse no pop into any gear, dosnt move front or back at all, i tow the car to my house and check the oil and was normal, no burning smell, check all the electrical connections and looks fine. then I remove de oil panel to check for hard parts there but nothing, the oil looks normal. The tranny dont makes any weird sounds, only dosnt move front or forward, like to be in park or neutral, Any ideas are welcome.

Antonio.

Old 08-11-2005, 06:46 PM
Default RE: 97 taurus 3.0 auto transmission problem

well, off the top of my head they have shift cables on them, did you check an make sure that its really moving the linkage on the Transmission ?

Old 08-11-2005, 07:15 PM

?You where driving it and it was in 'D'?

Old 08-12-2005, 01:10 PM

Yes I checked de linkage too its fine, the cable its not broken. And the car was stopped waiting a green light in "D", then i put some gas to advance and nothing the cars feels like it be in "neutral", put on reverse nothing, put on Drive and nothing. Thanks for the reply.

Old 08-12-2005, 03:37 PM

well the torque converter is the direct link between the eng an the trans , Sounds like it may be gone ,, usually they make a heck of a rack it if they self destruct, Sounds like your going to have to get u some pressuire gauges an tap the tranny anget some pressure readings, Do you have any way of pulling fault codes from the car ?? , I think Walmart sells hand held testers now for like $ 100.00 to use for just pulling codes on the newer ODB2 cars , might be somethink you would want to check into , if you plan on trying to do any repairs yourself ., its kind'a gives you a direction to head in . Or if you know of someone that has one an they will let you use it , or swing over an check it for you ?,, Iam not real sure on the Taurus , but I think they have the transmission selecter senser module" THINGY " on them, ( Iam more truck orientated ) dont know if I can get some info on them or not

Old 08-12-2005, 06:19 PM

Thanks for the info, I will buy the obd2 reader and check the codes, the torque converter was my first tought, thanks for the reply to everyone.

Old 08-14-2005, 05:58 PM

Well , Hate to give you the BAD NEWS , I talked with a couple bud's an they all agree its the Foward Clutch ,,, said tranny has to come out for repair , said they see this quite often in the Taurus ........