Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

97 Taurus GL Tranny and Shaking problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 06:35 PM
Default 97 Taurus GL Tranny and Shaking problems

Hello, I'm brand new and wish to say hi to everyone. I have gotten some very usefull information off this board. Thank You. My problem is with a 97 taurus gl with 163K miles. I have no history or information about this car. I purchased it blindly at an auto auction (mistake) and now would like to get it fixed. The first problem is the service engine soon light is on. I took it to autozone for a scan. I was told 2 codes are stored. One is an oxygen sensor for bank one I believe. I can't remember the exact code but it was something to do with the oxygen sensors. The other he said was for a shift sensor. Some kind of sensor with the transmission. I am going back again today so I can write the codes down and know for sure. But here is the problem. The car starts, idles and drives really good, and the transmission shifts very smooth. There appears to be no problem, until you get on the freeway or on a street where the speedlimit is 40 mph or more. Around 40 or so and faster, there starts to get a shaking in the front end. I feel it mostly in the steering wheel, a little on the floor, and the faster you go, the worse it gets. When trying to drive on the highway, I got up to close to 55 mph and the shaking is so bad, it could almost be dangerous. Again, I feel it in the steering wheel and front wheels mostly. It's kinda scary. Also when I was around 50 - 55 mph, the tach was between 2500 and 3000 rpm. I tried again with the shifter in D and coming to the top of the onramp around 50, I shifted into OD and no change in rpm. So I guess it's not going into OD. Does anyone know if that has something to do with that shift sensor that was a trouble code. And what could cause the severe shaking? An axle or cv joint. I am going to take the car back to write down the codes in case anyone would like the actual codes. If anyone out there can offer any suggestions or a starting point, I thank you in advance.

Old 09-09-2006, 02:18 AM
Default RE: 97 Taurus GL Tranny and Shaking problems

go to a tire store. let them look at your tires. you may have an egg{distorted rubber part}on your tire. sounds like tire trouble.

Old 09-09-2006, 07:57 AM

It may very well be the tire's after 40mph? Sound's like a ballance issue.If not check the cv shaft's for loose ness.

Old 09-10-2006, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the input everyone, I decided to really look at the tires, and on the front was 205/65 and the other was 205/70. I took one of the 205/65 off the back and put it on the front so the front tires were the same size. I noticed on the drivers side front tire, the boot coming to the wheel, I think it's the cv boot, was torn. There appears to be no fresh grease or goo around, so it must be old. I didn't hear alot of clunking or noise the last time I drove it, but could that be causing the shaking above 40? I guess I'll need a new axle huh. Also, does anybody know anything about a shift sensor?