Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

97 taurus won't budge

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Default 97 taurus won't budge

What does this sound like to you experts or semi-experts out there?

I backed out of a parking spot, put my foot on break, pulled the gear shift down into Drive from Reverse. As I did this the gear shift felt like there was no tension on it any longer. I took foot off brake, put it on gas and pressed down. RPMs rev up and engine is going but car going nowhere. Took foot off gas, put it on brake, shifted up into reverse again. Still no tension on gear shift. Pressed on gas pedal and engine revs/rpms increase but car goes nowhere. Put the car into park and tried to go back to drive, engine does the same and still no movement. Put car into neutral and thought I'd push it but car would not budge! I put into reverse and tried to push...not budging there or in drive either!

This happened in the middle of the drive lane at Burger King at lunch hour! I was stuck in the middle of the parking lot/drive lane. Had to have the car towed to the Ford garage. They have not had time to look at it.

Any idea what this sounds like it might be????

Thanks in advance!
Nancy E
Chippewa Falls, WI

Old 02-14-2008, 02:54 AM
Default RE: 97 taurus won't budge

sounds like a break locked up or awheel bearing seized. or your shifter linkage broke somewere along the line and stuck in park.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:22 PM
Default RE: 97 taurus won't budge

It seems that the cable maybe broken or the adjuster wheel locked up. I also experienced a similar issue recently and it turned out that the nut holding the shiftrod to the mounting bracket had loosen and went off. Mine is a 95 Ford Taurus and still have no intention of replacing my ride so I am patient with possible repairs