Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

99 taurus suspension issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Cool 99 taurus suspension issue

I have a 99 Taurus that has a clunk/pop on the drivers side when going over bumps in drive, I can't get it to replicate while the car is sitting still. I can feel it in the floorboard. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Old 02-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Angry 99 taurus suspension issue

It ended up a strut spring had broke and was making all the racket. luckily it hadn't got the tire.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:20 AM

Sorry I missed your post. Ford had a recall on the strut spring mount and replaced any damaged part. If you haven't checked with Ford, look into it.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:40 AM
Default Thank you Way 2 Old.

Thanks for responding, I always look forward to your advice.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:46 AM

Have you had any experience replacing one spring/strut on the Taurus and leaving the other old strut intact? I have been told that it will result in uneven tire wear and steering issues, but this came from people with strong incentive to sell parts/service. I'm going to check all the other springs on the car now to try to avoid any surprises.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:41 AM

We always replace all suspension parts in pairs. We are a government shop and do all we can to decrease the liability factor of the vehicles. You can just do one side, however the vehicle may ride or handle a little funny or different. I do not think it will contribute greatly to tire wear. We have found ther is a strut/spring combination that we use that is easier than trying to replace the spring. I think Monroe makes it. If you are going to attempt the repair yourself, that is the way I would go. Good luck and keep us posted.

I just checked for the springs. Information is below. All you need is warranty start date and mileage. Hope you fall in this category.

This program extends the warranty coverage of the front coil springs, due to fracture only, to 10 years of service or 150,000 miles from the warranty start date of the vehicle, whichever occurs first. If a vehicle has already accumulated more than 150,000 miles, this coverage will last until July 31,2005. Coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners

Last edited by way2old; 03-10-2009 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:53 AM
Smile 99 taurus strut

I put the new strut assembly on, unfortunately by the time I thought to research any recalls I already had the car apart and the part purchased. I chose to go ahead and finish it myself. I was a little worried that I would get it back together minus the jagged broken spring and have it towed to the dealership only to be turned down because they did'nt see the broken spring on the car. In the future I'll invest more time in research before I dig in, could have saved myself some $$$$. Even though the repair has been finished for a week or so, I did use the strut assembly with spring and all pre-assembled like you recommended, I have a great deal of respect for the power of those springs. I still have a little time on the recall/warranty so I checked the other spring last night, appears to be in good shape.

As always Thanks for the great advice!

Old 03-11-2009, 06:30 AM

Take your reciepts and contact your Ford rep in your area. They should reimburse for costs incurred. If you are in good standing with your dealer, they will do all the paper for you. Worth a shot.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:10 AM
Red face

Again you gave some excellent advice! Unfortunately, I had some bad info. from the first Ford Company rep. I talked to over the phone. The car is past its 10 year period based on the V.I.N. and warranty start date by 4 months (99 car built in the fall of 98) . The dealership was much easier to deal with than I had expected and until it was discovered that the car was out of the warranty period they were pretty agreeable. I would have to say that I left with a pretty good feeling about the dealership even though the repair wasn't covered.

Thanks Again

Old 03-14-2009, 09:12 AM

Glad you are not really upset at the dealer. Wish others were as understanding as to the policies. At least you can say you were [] << this close. Thanks for all the follow ups.

Quick Reply: 99 taurus suspension issue