Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

CEL Error Code P0402 (EGR Flow Excessive)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Default CEL Error Code P0402 (EGR Flow Excessive)

[8D]OK Guys I have a really Brain Teaser....On my Wife's 2000 Taurus DOHC 24v SE Wagon, Every time she fills the Tank up(witch is not very often) The CEL give a Code P0402 (Egr Flow Excessive). I told her to Disregard it till I trouble shoot it. I went to my Haynes Manual to see if I could find any information of this symptoms and found nothing. And tried to trouble shoot it myself. Nothing[:@]So I Reset the PCM Error code....and the thing stayed off till the next fill up.

Now here is the Kicker...lol....when Fuel gage drops down below 3/4 of a Tank of Gas, the CEL goes off....and stays off...This is really weird, and is driving me crazy.

I have checked about everything there is....from the TPS, to the O2 sensors to the Fuel Rail pressure sensor....

Any Ideas...and has any one else had this to happen>>>
Thank you all in advance....Six

Old 10-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Default RE: CEL Error Code P0402 (EGR Flow Excessive)

Does she keep squeezing the handle to put more fuel in the trank? If so,(it's way out in left field) maybe the vapor cannister is so full it is causing the PCM to try to close the EGR vent to allow more vapors to be removed. As I said, it is way out in left field, but sometime I live there. Have her place the nozzleon the lowest lock and stop when the automatic shutoff stops the fuel. Never know. Good luck.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:17 PM

ORIGINAL: way2old

Does she keep squeezing the handle to put more fuel in the trank? If so,(it's way out in left field) maybe the vapor cannister is so full it is causing the PCM to try to close the EGR vent to allow more vapors to be removed. As I said, it is way out in left field, but sometime I live there. Have her place the nozzleon the lowest lock and stop when the automatic shutoff stops the fuel. Never know. Good luck.
[sm=smiley19.gif] Wow...you hit this on the Head..After talking to her...she stated that she had been trying to "Cap Off" the Gas tank, by filling it up to the end of the nozzle...(lol...get the most of the lowering gas prices)
Just where is that Vapor Cannister,,,,and if its that full should i replace it??

Thank you in advance.....6

Old 10-13-2008, 07:31 PM

Evaporative emission (EVAP) canister vent valve
vehicle underbody, on fuel tank
The valve is located close to the cannister. They are expensive to replace. I would have her just let is shut off on it's own for a while. Have the codes erased and see how long it takes to come back on. Let us know.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Default overfilling

My 2000 se wagon is the same way... but I think the charcoal in the evap canister is saturated. once after a fill up, I gave the handle an extra squeeze and when I went to put the cap back on I heard a dribble comming from under the car... It was leaking from my evap canister.. I'm wondering if the previous owner was a "topper offer" and now I need to get a new evap... New to me anyway. (junk yard) I priced a new one and they are over 100 bucks. I believe the extra fuel is making its way to the intake because the two times i've topped the tank, both times i hit the highway and the car would stall and pick back up again for a few minutes...

Old 02-05-2009, 11:03 AM

Try www.rockauto.com

Canister $82
Purge Valve $45