Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

Converter Y pipe to flex tube connection

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 04:35 AM
BC
Default Converter Y pipe to flex tube connection

Hi,

I'm trying to remove the dual converter Y pipe from my 95 Taurus. I can't seem to break loose the converter Y pipe to flex tube connection. It's a nut and bolt combination. The nut has a tab associated with it that I think is supposed to keep the nut from rotating when turning the bolt. I've put heaps of torque on both the nut and the bolt but neither would budge. I don't see that either is welded to the flange.

Any tips on how to break this loose. I was thinking of buying a butane torch and heating it up...

This is the 3.0 liter V6 vulcan engine...

Thanks, BC

Old 02-01-2007, 08:35 AM
Default RE: Converter Y pipe to flex tube connection

exhaust temperatures do a good job of rust welding nuts and bolts. if you can, grind the heads off then use a punch to knoch out the bolts. propane doesnt get hot enough to allow you to break the rust.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:41 AM
BC

I was afraid of that...I don't havepneumatic tools ortorches.Any other suggestions? Would it be possible to use an electric drill and a cutting disc.

Thanks, BC

Old 02-01-2007, 02:21 PM

you can drill them out, its jsut difficult unless you can center punch the heads and drill with a smaller drill bit first then go with a bigger bit and increase in size untill you have the entire bolt gone, jsut avoid drilling the flange.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:10 PM
BC

thanks vince, that's a good idea...

was curious about one thing,the Y pipe to exhaust manifold bolts were not"rust welded". I had no troublebreaking them loose. Considering how difficult the access is to these nuts,I imagine even a pro would have a tough time grinding or cutting these bolts if they were frozen.The Y pipe has that loose flange deal, does that somehow keep the connection cooler to assure that the bolt/nut combination does not "rust weld".

Thanks again, BC

Old 02-01-2007, 06:33 PM

im sure theres alot of mechanics that have burnt a few things using a torce on those bolts LoL.. impact guns are great!!!

Old 02-01-2007, 08:50 PM
BC

okay, I got 'em. I wire brushed and soaked in liquid wrench yesterday and she popped loose today. onward...

Thanks for the help, this forum is great!

BC

Old 02-01-2007, 10:36 PM

ORIGINAL: vince69007

im sure theres alot of mechanics that have burnt a few things using a torce on those bolts LoL.. impact guns are great!!!

I'm sure a lot of rookies have burn issues when doing those, but not myself. I won't even attempt to remove those nuts without a little heat being applied. To hard to replace stud if they do break.