Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

cooling fans

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 02:32 PM
Default cooling fans

I have a 96 Taurus (67,000), 24 valve, EATC. With AC on the fans shut off and on. About 15 to 30 sec intervals. With AC off the fans never come on, even when temp gets to about 212. (Reading pids in NGS). The car will run fine for 35 to 40 mins but after that it starts to get hot. I have changed the engine coolant temp sensor, the thermostat and it's housing (fluid was nice and green, no sludge), the CCRM and the PCM. I work @ a Ford facility so some friends helped me with the parts. I'm about to go after the wiring. Am I missing anything on this? Thanx

Old 08-13-2006, 02:43 PM
Default RE: cooling fans

Is the check engine light on? Also there might be a temp sensor for the computer that turn's on the fan and one for the gauge.

Old 08-13-2006, 03:23 PM

Thanx for the reply. No check engine is not on. Also I edited my post to say Engine Coolant Temperature sensor. You're right there are 2 sensors, the other being for the gauge. The ECT sensor sends a signal to the PCM (computer) and then 2 lines out to the relays in the CCRM. I haven't tested these yet and I will, but I can't help but think I'm missing something. The problem with these older first year model change vehicles is a lot of things were changed halfway through the model and of course even more so in the following years. I can't seem to find anyone who really knows how this system works. A lot of my info is from Haynes and a friend of mine who gave me some schematics.

Old 08-13-2006, 04:23 PM

Do you have a power distrubion box with relay's and fuse's over the wheel well? If so check the fuse's there and i think there is a relay there for the fan.If so pull the relay and look at the contact's make sure the 1 clip in not ppushed down.I just did 1 like this the other day but it was a ford contor.If that is not the problem swap 1 of the realy's with another 1 to see if the fan come's on.

Old 08-13-2006, 05:03 PM

The 96 & 97 Taurus have a module called the CCRM (constant control relay module). It is located on the side of the battery tray, which is over the wheelwell. That's where the fan relays are. This was deleted and replaced with the relay box I believe you're talking about with the 98 Taurus model. You can't open it and I have changed it.

Old 08-13-2006, 05:42 PM

ok then i would troubleshoot the wiring.

Old 08-13-2006, 05:46 PM

Thanx

Old 08-13-2006, 05:52 PM

I worst come's to worst at the temp sensor run a wire to the fan. Your check engine light may come on but at least it will work.

Old 08-13-2006, 11:45 PM

OK here's what I've learned. My fans still work off and on. But when sitting @ idle with AC on, temp stays around 198. Which is okay. Gauge is @ about halfway. When sitting @ idle with AC off, fans come on when temp reaches 220, without fail,(so my fans do work without AC, I just wasn't sure @ what temp they should come on) and engine temp drops down to 200,202. @ 220 the needle is just below 3/4. So I'm looking @ a couple things. There may be a problem with my gauge or the sensor, I may need to burp my system, I've ruled out cottonwood on my condenser. Or I may not have a problem @ all. Any input would be appreciated. Thanx

Old 08-14-2006, 01:01 AM

If im correct the fan should kick on without tha a/c @ around 195-220

Quick Reply: cooling fans