Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

Help, intermittent fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Default Help, intermittent fuel pump

Hello all, have a 96 taurus vulcan, fuel pump has gone intermittent. It barely runs. When it actually does run it works perfectly fine and the car never dies.

Right now it has been out of commission for a week. I'm new to this stuff because this is my first car, I'm 17. I picked up a test light to try to figure out where the break in the system is.

On the forum I found this:

The fuel pump relay is internal to the constant control relay module (CCRM).. There's a 20amp fuse in position #10 in the engine compartment box for the pump.. Couple checks you can make if you have a 12v test light,,

1. First check the fuse in the panel for voltage (both sides), if OK, then check for 12v (hot at all times) on the 'Orange' wire going into the CCRM connector.. That is the power IN to the fuel pump relay (switched side) in the CCRM and from the fuse box..

2. Have someone cycle the key to 'ON' with a test light on/probing the LB/O wire, and again cycle the key and check for voltage on the DG/Y wire.. The LB/O wire is voltage IN to the relay's magnetic coil for PCM control (will be timed if a no start) of the fuel relays contacts, and the DG/Y wire is voltage OUT of the relay and into the inertia (if the relay closes) if a voltage IN to the relay is present from the PCM, and a good ground..

3. If you cycle the key ON and you have voltage on all 3 wires (again, the LB/O and DG/Y will be timed ON) then the relay is working.. Then go to the inertia switch and check 'both' wires IN/OUT of the switch.. Be sure the fuse is good, and if so, that there is voltage on the orange wire to the CCRM.. The chassis ground is out by the battery/inner fender..
I followed those instructions. First, the fuse was good. I then checked the orange, the lb/o, and the dg/y that were sticking out of the ccrm, all good (the dg/y lit for only 1 second, but it's probably on a cycle). I then went back to the inertia and there is no power at the inertia.

I also checked all the fuses above the radiator, and there was one small "HEGO" 15a fuse that didn't light at the fuse or at the base of the fuse. I have no idea what a hego is, but the seat doesn't have power on either side.

So I'm thinking theres some relay or some switch after the ccrm dg/y and the inertia switch that has gone wrong. What do I do next?

Thanks in advanced guys!