Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

Overheat and now won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Default Overheat and now won't start

While driving to the next down over in my '94 GL 3.0, I was doing 55MPH or so when the car seemed to act not normal. The temp guage raised slightly but never went into the red. The car seemed to be decelerating and as I pressed the gas pedal down farther, it continued to decelerate. Just a few seconds later the motor shut off and I was able to coast off the highway to a safe stop.

I popped the hood and smelled a burn smell, and quite a bit of smoke coming from all around the motor. The radiator overflow is almost full to the top of the cap, (way above the overflow line) and the radiator itself was cool to the touch, so using my rubber gloves I removed the radiator cap to no pressure and it seemed pretty empty. I poured half gallon of coolant and water in the car and let it cool down. I checked the oil and the oil seemed fine with no contaminants, antifreeze, or anything in it.

After buying another compression tester since my first one wouldn't slip into the hole due to the thickness, I got the following results:

Cylinder 1: 30psi
Cylinder 2: 30psi
Cylinder 3: 50psi
Cylinder 4: 100psi
Cylinder 5: 50psi
Cylinder 6: 30psi

Now there may be a slight possibility that the compression tester wasn't seated in the spark plug hole 100%. I had to machine down slightly the adapter to get it to fit inside the spark plug well. This motor does have 180k on it as far as I know, (unsure if the motor is original to the body of the car) so it's possible that it's just that tired.

I'm not really sure what's going on here. Yesterday morning before work I was anxious and attempted to pull the codes using the ground the EEC wire method and the EEC seemed to pop out several codes but was short on time, so I wasn't able to do a complete breakdown of them.

Yesterday evening I attempted the same thing, and the only code that the EEC seemed to want to tell me was 33. I wasn't sure about this, so I went to the local Autozone and bought a 30 dollar code reader, which honestly isn't much more than a glorified jumper wire that you can set to beep at you as it flashes the light. To make sure I understand correctly, it would flash 3 times then pause, flash 3 times then pause, flash once and pause, then flash 3 times and pause, and finally flash three more times. That is a code 33 correct? I was under the impression that a '94 would only have a 3 digit code.

According to the book that comes along with the code reader, the code is 'EGR Valve (EVP) sensor or Pressure Feedback EGR (PFE) sensor indicates EGR valve is not opening. Or, EGR Valve Position (EVP) sensor or Pressure Feedback EGR (PFE) sensor indicates EGR valve not seated (closed) properly.'

Ironically according to the Autozone website, there is no EGR Valve Position sensor on a 1994 Taurus with a 3.0 motor in it.

I'm completely stumped on this one, anyone have any ideas??

Old 11-10-2010, 10:22 PM

sounds to me you have two bad head gaskets or cracked heads an you dont have to water in the oil or oil in the water with heads or gaskets

Old 09-10-2011, 02:13 PM

With those compression readings, it sounds more like the start of a head or head gasket issue, especially @ that mileage, rather than an EGR...