Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

97 Taurus Rear Spring upgrade for heavier load capacity?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 01:55 AM
Default 97 Taurus Rear Spring upgrade for heavier load capacity?

I am planning on replacing the rear struts and springs on my 97 GL 3.0L Taurus soon. I haul a lot of tools and even a trailer on the occasion, so I'd like to put heavier springs in the back. The standard springs for the sedan, which is what I have now (although worn) will not hold up well to the loads I need to carry. To the best of my knowledge, the Taurus wagon springs are variable rate and made to handle more load. The Ford dealer told me they would fit on the sedan strut, but they cannot verify if it will modify the ride height. If the wagon springs raised the rear slightly, it wouldn't be an issue. However, if the ride height was raised significantly, that would not be an acceptable option. I found custom springs for the sedan that are heavier than OEM, but they are very very expensive and I'd rather not go that route.

I am running stock springs in the front with new KYB-GR2 struts and plan on replacing the rears with the KYB as well.

Does anyone have any experience and/or recommendations for this?

Thank you.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:04 PM
Default RE: 97 Taurus Rear Spring upgrade for heavier load capacity?

I just recentlly replaced the struts and springs on the rear of a 01 taurus. I used the Monroe Quick Strut. It come as one unit ( struts, springs& mounts ) I know the car sets much higher now, but as if they are stronger that stock one I don't know.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:54 AM
Default RE: 97 Taurus Rear Spring upgrade for heavier load capacity?

I am going with the KYB struts to match the front. At this point it seems that I am just going to have to take my chances with the variable rate spring for a wagon. I'm surprised that I haven't yet found anyone who could point me in the right direction with this issue, but I appreciate your input. I need to do the rear suspension soon so as to stop doing wheelies down the highway when the car is fully loaded.

So how much higher than stock is your new set up? I'm assuming that it's acceptable.