Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

Unique problem with cam synchronizer and position sensor...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 07:39 PM
Default Unique problem with cam synchronizer and position sensor...

He'lllo everyone, I'm new to this site, and forum, so I hope I'm posting this in the right place!

I'm replacing the cam synchronizer and position sensor on my 97 Taurus G, however. I have come into a dilemma I was not expecting! I found the center magnet on the position sensor had broken off and managed to bend the half moon "rotor" on top of the synchronizer! I will try to post pictures of each to help show what I mean, I hope this works.

This is the inside of the cam position sensor

This is the top of the cam synchronizer, notice the bend between the line marks, where the arrow is pointing.

My dilemma is, since i cant use the alignment tool due to the bend could I just mark the position with a Sharpie and Mark it again upon removal, to line it up??? Wouldn't that work??? ANY expertise and input would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you kindly,
Jeff
(GTOmans97taurus)

P.S. I know the "proper" way to replace the synchronizer is putting #1 at TDC, then using alignment tool to make sure the "rotor" is pointing in the right direction, then pulling synchronizer, and using tool to line up the new synchronizer, however, I'm not at TDC but I would think as long as everything is lined up the same on both synchronizer and the marks line up that it should be good to go! Or is that reasoning flawed??? Thanks again for any help!

Last edited by GTOmans97taurus; 05-07-2024 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Adding additional information