Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

What is the black box mounted on top of the engine? ('97 Taurus/Sable V6)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 09:38 PM
Default What is the black box mounted on top of the engine? ('97 Taurus/Sable V6)

I just bought a 1997 Mercury Sable LS - V6 DOHC (a Taurus sister)

What is the little black box that's mounted on top of the engine in the front? It has a wire hooked into it, as well as a cable. Inside, there is a small electric motor hooked up to a bunch of gears. I think it has something to do with the regulation of air flow to the engine.

The problem is that those gears got stripped somehow, and I need to replace the entire module. They were grinding horribly, so I took out the gears that had managed to get loose, and there's been no noticeable performance issues.

The big question is, what is that thing called??? I want to replace it but don't know what to ask for, and I don't have any diagrams or repair manuals and haven't been able to find anything. PLease please please someone who knows help me out. Thanks!
Nick

Old 04-26-2005, 10:45 PM
Dan
Default RE: What is the black box mounted on top of the engine? ('97 Taurus/Sable V6)

go to autozone.com and go to vehicle repair manual section, they have diagrams there. I think that it is the air box where the filter and the NAF sensor are housed at.

Old 05-06-2005, 02:43 AM
Default RE: What is the black box mounted on top of the engine? ('97 Taurus/Sable V6)

ORIGINAL: nscarnati

I just bought a 1997 Mercury Sable LS - V6 DOHC (a Taurus sister)

What is the little black box that's mounted on top of the engine in the front? It has a wire hooked into it, as well as a cable. Inside, there is a small electric motor hooked up to a bunch of gears. I think it has something to do with the regulation of air flow to the engine.

The problem is that those gears got stripped somehow, and I need to replace the entire module. They were grinding horribly, so I took out the gears that had managed to get loose, and there's been no noticeable performance issues.

The big question is, what is that thing called??? I want to replace it but don't know what to ask for, and I don't have any diagrams or repair manuals and haven't been able to find anything. PLease please please someone who knows help me out. Thanks!
Nick
your thinking of the MAP sensor.

Old 05-06-2005, 03:49 PM

Wires, cables and gears, does your course control work? cause I think its the course module you have there.