Ford Tempo/Probe These small cars offered a sporty feel and affordable price.

1989 Mercury Topaz or Ford Tempo

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 12:34 AM
Default 1989 Mercury Topaz or Ford Tempo

Hi I did a search and found nothing although the post about the probe below sounded awfully familiar to my problem. Here goes, this is a Mercury Topaz which techincally should be the Ford Tempo. If you know the answer to my problem please speak up, but for the most part I'm just looking for general direction I should take. Alright my friend bought this 1989 Mercury Topaz GS, I'm pretty sure its a 89 if I heard him correctly. The engine should be 2.3 L HSC I4, if not it is a mazda 2.0 L Mazda Diesel I4. I don't think its a diesel though. Anyhow here is the problem, the car won't start. The battery is fine, dash board lights come on perfect and the radio is loud. But when you try and crank the engine it just cranks and eventually makes this very audible and fast 'clicking' noise. When the engine cranks it doesn't seem to crank any slower then all cars I've been in, it just doesn't turn on. The car was left behind in august and hasn't been turned on, or attempted, since. I honestly don't think the starter is the problem... but I'm not sure its the first time I'm working on an american car other then a GM, and from there I have no idea... it has a full tank of gas... so could it possibly be the spark plugs?

Old 01-12-2006, 04:49 PM
Default RE: 1989 Mercury Topaz or Ford Tempo

i had the same trouble on my 1989 ford tempo. The battery was good, radio worked, dash lights on etc... The engine would turn over but it wouldnt start.

It turned out to be the ignition switch for me. In my case, while the key was turned to the run position, the heater blower motor would not work, although all the other accessories would. You might want to try this, and if it doesnt work, you'll know it's the ignition switch.

The ignition switch is located on the steering column. For me, the switch had just fallen out of place, and all i had to do was push it back in to fix it.

good luck

Old 01-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Default RE: 1989 Mercury Topaz or Ford Tempo

oh and also try priming it with a little gas)