Ford Tempo/Probe These small cars offered a sporty feel and affordable price.

electric seatbelts

Old 01-15-2006, 04:37 PM
Default electric seatbelts

I have a 1994 ford tempo--my driver side electric seatbelt does not work. I have to up it over my head--the passenger side does work. thanks for any help

Old 05-12-2008, 11:37 PM
Default RE: electric seatbelts

Likely needs repaired if one is working. Could be on seperate fuses from side to side but more likely bad actuator. If you tire of them here's an idea - Use an earlier setup and bolt it in -then chuck 'em in the garbage (if you don't want to deal with it over and over). Personally I find things like this more hassle than help (I prefer a belt I can jump out of fast in an emergency - like your battery died and your slowly slipping over a cliff while belted in your automatic belts which you must now manually release plus your door lock motors are locked down w/o power- good luck).

Old 05-14-2008, 11:56 PM

Does the motor run when the belt is not working? If so, could be the same problem as an earlier poster, with the following advice........

The issue of the motor whining/running without belt movement is likely caused by a worn out gear. On my 94 Topaz, I was able to correct it without cost by taking it apart and turning the gear over (the teeth were only worn off one side). Mine was a 2-door, and I had to remove the back seat and take the quarter panel off to access it. I don't know what might be involved with a 4-door car.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:59 PM

First off, thank you to everyone who has responded. I recently received a 1994 Tempo GL from my sister. Thanks Sis! Now... first and formost with ANYTHING that uses electricity... check your connections. The second thing you want to do is check your fuses, circuit breakers and or relays. The first thing that I had to do when I received the car was to fix the non-working driver's side automatic seatbelt. It was stuck in the down or open position. When I got in the car and shut the door I just sat there. I placed the key in the ignition and turned it to the on position without starting the car. After about seconds, I could hear a clicking sound under the passenger side of the dash. My mind told me relay right away. I didn't even bother checking the connections. I just proceeded to take apart the dash. It wasn't difficult at all. I opened the glove box and removed the two bolts holding the black box in there. Inside of that black box are four relays. I assume that there are two for up and two for down one set for each belt. I went to a local junk yard and grabbed a new box and plugged it in and presto... both belts worked just fine. Now I just need to figure out why my electric locks and front power windows don't work.