Ford Thunderbird Starting in the 1950s, this was a classic American sports cars, from the compact original of the 1950s, to the muscular hard top coupes of the 1980s and 1990s to the retro look of the 2003 model year, this car is, and always will be, an American classic.

1996 t-bird keyless remote question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 10:54 PM
Default 1996 t-bird keyless remote question

Hi, I purchased a keyless remote for my 96 t bird, the instructions say to look in the trunk, in thequarter panel areas for a connector that you temporarily short out to program the remote. I don't see one on either side, the instructions say if you can't find one it must have not had the option. Well, whoever ordered this car ordered every possible option except leather seats, so I doubt if they didn't order the keyless entry. Any one know where this connector is or how to program the remote?
Thanks in advance!
Dale

Old 01-05-2009, 12:48 AM
Default RE: 1996 t-bird keyless remote question

The instructions are probably right. I don't see why they'd lie about it - else they would have a hard time keeping their alarm systems sold and not returned. It is possible that your car simply didn't have the option installed.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:57 AM
Default RE: 1996 t-bird keyless remote question

I have a 1997 Ford Thunderbird and I too had to google the location and maybe I can help you.

You have to look in the Trunk on the left side you have to pull back the Trunk Liner to get to it but there is a little (Grey?) connector sitting there that has two contactors exposed, take whatever you have handy to short the two connectors together, I used a pair of needle nose pliers. When you short them together you should hear the Door locks make a sound that tells you that it is ready for programming and you then just hit any button on your keyless remote and that should be it.

When you look at the liner on the left side of your trunk, there might be a little decal that tells you that there is a emergency fuel pump cut off switch located under the liner, that is the location of the Remote switch as well, you can see the fuel pump switch located nearby.

if you have problems, I might be able to take a picture and post that. Good Luck.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:57 PM
Default 1996 Thunderbird Keyless Entry Problem

I have a 1996 T-Bird with a Ford installed Keyless entry. Whenever I press the button to open or lock the doors, it activates and lowers/raises the door-lock thingy and either locks/unlocks depending on the current state. However, when this occurs, the electrical mechanism that is activated when I press the button sound like it attempts to perform the function multiple times. This does not seem to affect anything but is rather annoying. I have found no technical bulletins on this. Can anyone shed any light on this issue?