Ford Thunderbird Starting in the 1950s, this was a classic American sports cars, from the compact original of the 1950s, to the muscular hard top coupes of the 1980s and 1990s to the retro look of the 2003 model year, this car is, and always will be, an American classic.

'97 door hinge

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 04:10 PM
Default '97 door hinge

I have a '97 with a worn lower door hinge bushing that makes closing the door a real chore. Dealer says it only makes sense to replace both hinges. Visually, the top hinge is fine, and the bushing on the lower is all torn up. As you have to take the dashboard out to get to the top hinge, its a $1000 job. Has anyone had this problem, or replaced the lower hinge before? I had a Mustang ('79) with the same problem. I guess Ford never got doors figured out. This vehicle will be for sale in Jan/Feb timeframe if anyone is interested in a V8 in good condition.

Thanks
Todd
Long Island, NY

Old 12-29-2005, 07:37 PM
Default RE: '97 door hinge

My Son found a door hinge repair kit at a local parts dealer. Took about an hour and we did it with no problems. We went slow and didn't scratch the door.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:40 AM

I just finished putting new pins and bushings on my 97. Goto Auto Zone get the pin and bushing they have 3 different ford pins you should need the shortest of the 3. You dont need to take the dash out. Get a 13mm wrench take the bolts out of the door hinge that bolts to the door (you cant reach the ones that bolt the hinge to the body) have a friend hold the door grab a milk crate to hold the door up. Next take a small grinder grind the top of the hinge pin off the use a hammer and small punch to drive the pin out remove hinge. use hammer to remove remainder of old bushing install new bushing in same position came out. and installation is reverse of removal. should take about 45 minutes total. becarful not to scratch door I put masking tape on all of my door edges b4 I started. good luck

Old 07-06-2012, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Luckyontheducky
I have a '97 with a worn lower door hinge bushing that makes closing the door a real chore. Dealer says it only makes sense to replace both hinges. Visually, the top hinge is fine, and the bushing on the lower is all torn up. As you have to take the dashboard out to get to the top hinge, its a $1000 job. Has anyone had this problem, or replaced the lower hinge before? I had a Mustang ('79) with the same problem. I guess Ford never got doors figured out. This vehicle will be for sale in Jan/Feb timeframe if anyone is interested in a V8 in good condition.

Thanks
Todd
Long Island, NY
Quick fix: with a helper holding the (darn heavy) door, loosen the screws attaching the lower hinge to the door (NOT TO THE BODY!!), then stick some aluminum foil (folded multiple times to make for a 2-3 mm spacer plate) between the door and the hinge, right between the screws. Tighten the screws, and drive happily everafter. It worked great on my previous Cougar - just make sure that the aluminum spacer is wide enough so that the hinge is well supported.