Ford Thunderbird Starting in the 1950s, this was a classic American sports cars, from the compact original of the 1950s, to the muscular hard top coupes of the 1980s and 1990s to the retro look of the 2003 model year, this car is, and always will be, an American classic.

Still in dealer for head gasket.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 12:54 AM
JMH
Default Still in dealer for head gasket.

[:'(]My 2002 is still in the dealer for a head gasket since April 20, 2005. Dealer is trying to get out of warranty responsibility. All maintenance exceeded Ford's specifications. I believe there is a problem with the application of the gasket and the head at the factory, or, as in Tbirds of the 80s and 90s, there is a design defect.

Shrugging off their warranty reponsibilities and trying to blame the consumer is so typical of Ford. The dealer is questioning my oil change record. Hogwash, they can bite me. I maintain all my cars like far beyond manufacturer specs and have always gotten better than top dollar for my used cars. I have people who have bought my cars calling me to see if I was going to sell something we're driving now. Once I sold an Eldorado with 30,000 miles on it just because the guy offered me way over the best price published. It was showroom mint.

Ford just can't get it right, even after all these years. It doesn't surprise me at all that Ford is losing out to the Japanese and European manufacturers, especially with younger buyers. My wife was thinking of buying a Jag. It's still a Ford. No way after our experience with the Tbird. You pay the kind of price we're paying for the "birds" and you'd expect some kind of consideration. BS. They've treated me like I bought a $2,000 used Focus. In addition, I bought many trucks from this lame dealer for my business and it's still the "screw you" attitude.

This is my last Ford, ever, and I can't wait to get the piece of junk back from the dealer to sell it and get a reliable, well-built sports car.

Anyone else have head gasket problems? What was your experience with the dealer?

Old 06-03-2005, 05:32 PM
Default RE: Still in dealer for head gasket.

ORIGINAL: JMH

My wife was thinking of buying a Jag.
That to bad about your dealer, but Ford is not your dealer.
Anyway that T-bird is a Jag (jag engine).
Good luck with all
Guess it will be a Japanese or European car?

Old 06-03-2005, 08:56 PM
JMH

[8D]Dealer says FORD has to approve warranty repair before they will do anything, which may be a load of nonsense. In my experience, the words "new car dealer" are synonymous with liar, and that's not particular just to Ford. Even the high-end Japanese manufacturers are full of it.

At one time I was actually thinking of trading the Tbird in on a GT40 when they hit the market. Based on my recent experience with the Tbird, I think I'm getting a Porsche 911 Cabrio. At least I know beforehand I'm buying a piece of junk that takes a lot of service. By the way, wife got a BMW 3-Series convertible instead of a Jag.

Old 06-06-2005, 02:32 PM

My Mother has a 94 TBird with the V6 TBI. It had a miss in the engine and she had always had it serviced at the dealer they never could find the source of the miss until after the warranty ran out. Only then did they find the problem, It was the the passenger side head gasket. It was leaking antifreeze into the rear cylinder. They didn't want to repair it under the old warranty so we called the Ford rep to come out and go over all the paper work that had been done to the car and after about 3 weeks he finally approved the gasket to be replaced, and that's because everytime she took the car in for service she complained about the miss in the engine. The car is still running today with a 110,000 miles on it.

Old 06-08-2005, 02:44 AM
JMH

Thanks xkikbxr for your insight. I could work on this T-bird myself. I learned to do it years ago when I had to because I didn't have any money. However, my business is so demanding, I just don't have the time. The dealer wants $3,600 to do the gasket repair, unless they honor the warranty. I've turned it over to my corporate attorney. I strongly suspect Ford knows there is a problem with T-bird head gaskets and they're trying to keep it under wraps.

At this point, one way or another, the head is going to be fixed. I'm sure there is a buyer out there who couldn't afford this car new who would just love to get their hands on this well-maintained, garaged vehicle at a very reasonable price. I'm going to sell it only to a true to a T-bird lover and tell them the whole deal. I had fun with it until the problems, but now I would like something faster with a more sleek design. This dealer will never get my business again. Hard to blame Ford too much. Mercedes-Benz are hunks of junk too.

It's too bad that Ford discontinued this edition of the T-bird. They should have invested in trying to improve its mechanical quality and then fine-tuned the design every couple of years. I think Ford could have been more aggresive in marketing the T-bird, with good lease programs, low-rate financing, more engine options, etc. How'd you like to have a T-bird that could do 0-60 in 4.3 or less?

Old 06-08-2005, 02:25 PM

Love to take the T-bird off your hands but I dreaming of a new Cougar. Maybe they will take a hint and do something we as car lovers would like to buy and own. Check this site and this tread, I think you might like;

http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/...ad.php?t=16309

I like the '69-'70 body style so this was my favorite design:

http://www.blueovalforums.com/index....ype=post&id=87