Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/general-tech-11/)
-   -   '05 Montego AWD (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/general-tech-11/05-montego-awd-34188/)

Montegoman 02-29-2016 06:34 PM

'05 Montego AWD

Hello, about three years ago the AWD malfunction message and TC light came on. Code P1889. The Ford dealer went thru the ridiculous trouble shooting and parts replacement as per the TSB on this issue. Problem could not be resolved so the dealer said I could purchase a new rear end for $1800 or they would get a used one from a yard. I settled on the used one since it was only $250. After all was said and done, it still cost almost $1800 between all the labor and different parts. A year later, the message and light came back. I didn't have the money to fix it at the time and, quite frankly, didn't want to deal with another rear end going bad. My question is can the drive shaft to the rear differential just be removed and driven as a front wheel drive vehicle? I've already been doing it without issue, but now the inspection sticker is coming due and I don't believe it will pass with the TC light on and "AWD malfunction" in the message center. Please help. Thank you.

greasemark 03-01-2016 12:30 PM

These rear ends had a ton of problems with the pumps in them; you might check the net for a cheaper or DIY soloution to this.
I replaced a ton of these rear ends, and I agree, the TSB didn't ever work in the ones I saw.

Montegoman 03-01-2016 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by greasemark (Post 96309)
These rear ends had a ton of problems with the pumps in them; you might check the net for a cheaper or DIY soloution to this.
I replaced a ton of these rear ends, and I agree, the TSB didn't ever work in the ones I saw.

Thank you grease mark, but I guess the question is can the rear drive shaft be removed and be legally driven this way or am I forced to somehow repair or even buy another rear end?

Alanah_Rae 03-02-2016 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Montegoman (Post 96310)
Thank you grease mark, but I guess the question is can the rear drive shaft be removed and be legally driven this way or am I forced to somehow repair or even buy another rear end?

I think you have to replace it !!

greasemark 03-03-2016 02:09 PM

yes, you can most definitely remove the rear driveshaft and drive it; thats how we used to diagnose them. It will just be a FWD car; and if it has damagaed bearings, they will still make noise. You'll have a flashing light or two, but other than that, it should be just fine.
I've driven these all over without drivesahfts, without any kind of driveability problem.

Alanah_Rae 03-04-2016 12:03 PM

agreed with you !!

Justin Spears 04-02-2021 05:02 PM

05 Montego AWD malfunction, trac control, whining noise.

Originally Posted by greasemark (Post 96353)
yes, you can most definitely remove the rear driveshaft and drive it; thats how we used to diagnose them. It will just be a FWD car; and if it has damagaed bearings, they will still make noise. You'll have a flashing light or two, but other than that, it should be just fine.
I've driven these all over without drivesahfts, without any kind of driveability problem.

You seem to be explaining a problem I'm having. Any input on my 05 montego and the awd malfunction with trac control light. It also has a whining noise and seems to be in limp mode
.. Please give me your expert advice on what I can do.... Thanks in advance.