General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1986 E350 460, A Good Buy? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Default 1986 E350 460, A Good Buy? Help!

I know next to nothing about RV's, but have an opportunity to buy a 1986 Ford E350 460 motorhome, and I am hoping to get some input on how decent the price is, and what I should reasonably expect to put into it.

The asking price is $4000, it as 48k miles, needs a new alternator for sure, and has been sitting for about 3 years, outside...

Is this a steal or a money pit?

any feedback or thoughts are extremely appreciated.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site,,

All RV's and boats are ALL money pits

Have any images you can put up? Might help with a better feel for condition and a value. Mileage, good,, 460 is is a good engine, thirsty though, but then so are most carrying the weight.. Any service info or docs come with it?

Roof and siding tend to take abuse when stored uncovered and outside. Any evidence on the interior of water leaks? Pin holes in the aluminum siding (unless fibeglass), Furnace, fridge, water pump, generator (if equiped) all work.. House batteries no doubt would need to be replaced. Whats the condtion of the interior? Clean, mildew, or rips/wear, flooring? Need anything? Tires, how old?

I'd look it over very well, or have someone do it if you don't feel up to the task, just so there are no surprises. 4k doesn't buy much today, and if 'say' it was owned by the old couple next door and they don't use it anymore, may be worth a shot. Kind'a a diamond in the rough find (?).
I've seen quite a few older, gross inside, rotten flooring, dated, leaky cabins, appliances that don't work, some are even realtively low miles. Exposure to the elements is brutal, and most times can eat up a good deal, more so than the running gear in most cases. A lot of RV tend to 'sit' and may be lower mileage since they don't often get used all that much..

I'd get an idea of all that it needs, and then go to work on the price.

Last edited by Hayapower; 03-14-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:51 AM

Thanks man. You've definitely given me some food for thought.
I'll try to get some pictures of the exterior/interior.

If, lets say, the elements hadn't abused the roof and sides too much, and the interior was clean (albeit still dated), and the price was 3,000...
how much sweeter would the deal be?

I guess what I'm saying is, my untrained eye can evaluate mildew, rust, holes, etc. But mechanical issues (brakes, carbs, tranny, etc.) are another story...

Old 03-15-2013, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Well,,

That's where i was going with any service information and docs for a any repair history. First may be to just give it a good test drive. If the alternator is bad, a good hot battery installed will get you a decent test drive without any concern to get an idea how it runs, brakes, shifts, and maybe cooling system condition.. Hoses, belts weathered aged and need replacing? House A/C unit work?

If the brakes, trans (good shift points and shift timing) and engine performs well, no exhaust leaks (manifolds/muffler etc.) a visual check on the underside for any oil or coolant leaks (even hanging drips) proves to be dry, then go a step further.

Take a look at the coolant, hopefully it would have be flushed given its age (even with lower miles it ages out). If its rusty/dark then things like freeze plugs, radiator, heater core, hoses may come into play.

Same with the trans, ever serviced? Condition of the fluid? Red, brown?

It's not the mileage that would be a concern for me, although a plus,, but age/time and with that, what has been done to it if traceable, or if the current owner is the original owner if they can give you an idea of service work completed. If not, or none available, then a good combing over may reveal some things that need attention or need to be done.

The aluminum sided RV's like to trap moisture behind the siding. The wall structures are usually built out of pine and easily rot and hold the moisture. Look over all the siding and if you see 'tiny' little blisters (look like paint bubbles) or worse, its an indication a problem exists. Doesn't mean its a no deal, but if left uncover and in the elements the issue will accelerate.. I have a 97 27' Toyhauler and the shower pan leaked (from new) from a poor design. It has a couple area's that the siding pin holed from the trapped moisture. I ended up having to replace the first 4' of flooring/ply all the way across the width of the trailer front. Under the cabinets/walls as well,, was not fun..

Sometimes sliding under the RV and checking for any leaks, be it engine, trans etc as I mentioned, and checking flooring condition or any damage that may have been done during use like stabilizer jacks (if equipped) tanks, plumbing and so on. If you find anything that helps with the price, 'less' is always more and will help with anything that needs attention..

Old 05-13-2013, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by mbradywood
I know next to nothing about RV's, but have an opportunity to buy a 1986 Ford E350 460 motorhome, and I am hoping to get some input on how decent the price is, and what I should reasonably expect to put into it.

The asking price is $4000, it as 48k miles, needs a new alternator for sure, and has been sitting for about 3 years, outside...

Is this a steal or a money pit?

any feedback or thoughts are extremely appreciated.
Sounds like a motivated asking price.. Offer him 2k. but be ready to spend way more in repairs because sitting is worse than higher miles.

Take it to a reputable mechanic. Or free brake estimate etc.