General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2012 Fiesta. Aftermarket Cruise Control? Is it worth the chance?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Default 2012 Fiesta. Aftermarket Cruise Control? Is it worth the chance?

I am getting close to the point of shopping for a 2012 Ford Fiesta sedan (automatic). The S model has everything I would want EXCEPT cruise control. I could go for the SE model with the sports package but I'm not interested in any of the other things the SE or sports package adds, which basically means i would be spending about $2,000 for only one thing I want.

I am aware of an aftermarket cruise control kit that can be installed on the S model that is an extra stick that goes behind and on the side of the steering wheel like the rest. Has anyone opted for this option and if it works well?

I've also thought I read that it's possible to order the steering wheel unit like the SE model, and install that in the S model. Would this be possible, would the S model even have the programming/software to do so?

I appreciate any help. I feel like this is the last little hurdle I need to jump over before I'm ready buy.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:16 AM

I haven't an idea of which direction to go in here. Most of the cruise control on new cars is handeled by a module (in your case, mostly the Inst. cluster, with the smart junction box) and a little extra hardware.
In the case of the Fiesta, the cruise control is done by modulating the electronic throttle body, which is already there. There are other inputs, mostly from the clutch ped. position switch and the deactivation switch, which may or may not be there. I would think that most of the cruise control is a function of software.
However, as you mentioned, you don't have the switches. THat's a good point. But even if you did, is the rest of what you need there (deactivation switch), like possibly most of this being handled by several modules on the network.
I can't give you a solid answer. If you look at the wiring diagrams, there is no seperation between the two (with or without), as most (but not all) the required hardware is there.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:58 AM

I've also thought about doing this. I was going to swap the steering wheel, and get the additional stuff to get stock cruise on my car, but it seemed like too much of a hassle. After researching everything i would need, i figured I would first try to go with something aftermarket, and came across this aftermarket fiesta kit. I haven't tried it yet, but will later this month and will let you know know how it works.

I think if you want to go the stock route, you would need to get:

SE steering wheel
SE ECU (with same options as yours except for cruise)
additional throttle wires (though is our car drive by wire?)

I've checked on ebay and such but haven't been able to find the steering wheel or ecu, but will try a local junk yard to see if they have a totalled fiesta i can get some parts from.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:57 PM

btw, you might also need the new gauge cluster, unless if the new ECU is ok w/o having a "Cruise On" light

Old 02-13-2013, 07:21 PM

any updates?