General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

86 Ford LTD V6 Flooding out

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 06:47 AM
Question 86 Ford LTD V6 Flooding out

1986 Ford LTD v6 small LTD
It all started with the car flooding out and blowing black smoke. The last thing I put on it was the computor and then it stopped. Been running the car for almost a month and now it is doing the samething all over again. It did start acting up over again after I put the new sylniod on it. It will run fine for a few trips to town and then it goes back to fluding out and not be able to run, go out the next day and it will start fine. Could it be the new computor that is missing up. I realy don't know were to go from here. The car is a junker but all I have to work with. Please someone give me some ideas.

Replaced
fuel injestsors
fuel pressure regulator
oxengen sensor
Map sensor
temp sensor
Had to replace sylniod
Battery
Computor

Old 08-17-2009, 05:28 AM

Which TEMP sensor did you replace? Your engine has two temperature sensors. One is for the temperature gauge/Idiot light. The other is for the ECU. If you have a bad TEMP sensor for the ECU, it will be telling the ECU that the coolant is cold, thus the ECU will then increase the injector pulses to inject more fuel. Since you replaced the O2 sensor, I would double check the wiring for the O2 sensor. A shorted wire will not set any codes/CEL, but can cause false signals being sent to the ECU, thus telling the injectors to dump more fuel into the intake. With the engine off, have you looked in the CFI unit to ensure neither injector is leaking? Pull the vacuum line off of the fuel pressure regulator and check for fuel. If there is fuel in the vacuum line, then the regulator's diaphram is bad. This will cause fuel to be sucked into the intake causing your problem. Let us know how you make out with this info and we can go from there.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:39 AM
Question Still not working right

Replaced the temp switch and the coolant temp sensor. Drove car about 40 miles and it rode just fine. Started up to come back home car flooded out. Got it started, put in drive and it spurtered some for awhile and then even out the rest of the way, it turn off on me once at a light but start on up and got back home. Have put tomuch into the junk car but it is all I have to work with and don't want to give up to soon if it is something simple. Feel like I have replaced so much on the car already. Please help me with some advice if you have any, I realy need it.

Thank You, Tina

Old 08-19-2009, 05:16 AM

Are you sure it's actually flooding out? It could be a bad ignition coil. When a coil goes bad, it will break down and not produce spark when it heats up. This will cause a flooding condition. It will start producing spark again after it cools a little. If not done, I would replace the coil. Also check for fuel in the vacuum line that is connected to the fuel pressure regulator.