General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

90 Ford F150 problems starting - intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Default 90 Ford F150 problems starting - intermittent

I have a 1990 Ford F-150 XLT, 5.8L, Automaticwith 107k miles on it.

My truck at times has problems starting.

I can leave the key in the RUN position (just short of the cranking position) and hear (what I think are) the fuel pumps (it's a dual tank) buzzing. As long as there is a buzz sounding, the truck will crank nicely (strong battery) but never start. It can sit and buzz for anything from 2-3 seconds to what seems like half-an-hour. Sometimes it will stop buzzing, sometimes I give up because it has simply taken too long. It seems to affect both tanks equally.

If I try cranking the engine after the buzzing has stopped, Voila! the engine starts right up.

It's almost like it loses fuel pressure or something. The weird part is that this does not always happen, it may be temperature related, I tend to think it happens more often when it is warmer, but not absolutely sure. But I have had times when it will not start after sitting for an hour, others when it will start when sitting for two or three weeks. Not exactly what I would expect from a fuel pressure leak.

I have new fuel pumps.

TIA

Old 06-03-2007, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 90 Ford F150 problems starting - intermittent

Can you check for spec fuel pressure on the fuel rail when it won't start?

Old 06-03-2007, 12:48 PM

I'm an at-home car-repair-guy, other than my wrenches, hammers and screwdrivers I don't really have much in the way ofmechanic-specific tools.
Is there a way to check this on-the-cheap? Can I rent/borrow this type of equipment at an AutoZone, Chief, ...???

I've had it in 2 mechanic shops, neither fixed it. Both wanted to (1 did, I did not allow thesecond one to) replace the fuel pumps.

Rudy

Old 09-15-2007, 01:06 PM

Hey rmolina:

What did you finally figure out about your vehicle? I am currently experiencing the same problem with a '91 and I understand (accorinding to Chilton's Manual), that when the key is just in the "On" position that you should hear a fuel pump only momentarily. I know that mine would pump intermittently (until this morning when the pump stays on and pumping without shutting off)... and now it will not start. Yesterday and for a couple of days before, it was hard starting and seemed to misfire between 1,000 and 2,000 rpms (fuel starved?). Then after 10 to 15 minutes running, it stopped missing and ran fine. NOW, this morning it will not start.

Plenty of fuel pressure to the injector rail, but now acts as if no fuel is reaching the cylinders for ignition. I think it's a pressure sensor / regulator or "control" issue. Anyone care to weigh in on this?

ORIGINAL: rmolina41

I have a 1990 Ford F-150 XLT, 5.8L, Automatic with 107k miles on it.

My truck at times has problems starting.

I can leave the key in the RUN position (just short of the cranking position) and hear (what I think are) the fuel pumps (it's a dual tank) buzzing. As long as there is a buzz sounding, the truck will crank nicely (strong battery) but never start. It can sit and buzz for anything from 2-3 seconds to what seems like half-an-hour. Sometimes it will stop buzzing, sometimes I give up because it has simply taken too long. It seems to affect both tanks equally.

If I try cranking the engine after the buzzing has stopped, Voila! the engine starts right up.

It's almost like it loses fuel pressure or something. The weird part is that this does not always happen, it may be temperature related, I tend to think it happens more often when it is warmer, but not absolutely sure. But I have had times when it will not start after sitting for an hour, others when it will start when sitting for two or three weeks. Not exactly what I would expect from a fuel pressure leak.

I have new fuel pumps.

TIA

Old 09-20-2007, 11:52 AM

I haven't figured out what is wrong yet...but I did start smelling a fuel leak somewhere. I am planning on changing out my fuel path hoses - they are close to 17 years old after all.

I don't know how to measure the "fuel pressure on the fuel rail" as HayaPower suggested previously but all along I have had my doubts on the fuel pressure being good. Now with smelling gasoline, I would think that a leak in a fuel line could cause a pressure problem. When the pressure is low, I would also think the fuel pumps would have to run to get up to spec.

If I can find the time, I will change out the fuel lines, if not, I'll take it in and have it done. Unfortunately (???)I have a newer model car I take to work, so I tend to skip working on the truck on hot September days (was summer days before) in Texas.