General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 Lincoln Mark VIII problem.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 12:27 AM
Default 93 Lincoln Mark VIII problem.

Hello all, new to the forums as well as my first Ford product. Picked up a 93 Mark VIII for FREE from my grandfather tonight. Its been kept up, but he doesnt know too much about cars. Just finished driving it 2 hours home and it has an issue, well besides the air suspension. It stutters from what FEELS like the tranny at around half throttle, WOT it really shines and doesnt hesitate. If I turn overdrive off it seems to be a little better. It might be in my head that its the tranny, so im going to check plugs/wires tommorow. Shift wise, it switches gears great. it just has that hesitation/stutter anywhere from not alot of gas to about half pedal. Thanks ahead of time guys!

Old 03-20-2015, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site.

What's the miles on the new rig?

Torque converter shudder was fairly common place. If the trans hasn't been service in a long while and/or retains the original fill, change the fluid to the replacement Mercon V may help. Also products like Shudder Guard can help with the old lube. Ignition wires, plugs can also mask as a shudder. Anything been done to or any service docs of info with the car?

Old 03-20-2015, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Welcome to the site.

What's the miles on the new rig?

Torque converter shudder was fairly common place. If the trans hasn't been service in a long while and/or retains the original fill, change the fluid to the replacement Mercon V may help. Also products like Shudder Guard can help with the old lube. Ignition wires, plugs can also mask as a shudder. Anything been done to or any service docs of info with the car?

Mileage is right around 95k. All he told me is that it has a slow leak from the trans somewhere and he has to put fluid in it regularly. I think its just had normal oil changes and air filters and stuff. I did notice today that even in park and neutral if I rev it between 1.2k-3k it does the same symtomn as when driving. Which kinda makes the thing plugs and wires. But coming from a 4 cylinder honda, this thing looks like a PITA to replace the plugs. Any clue as to how much a trans flush/fill would run me??