General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'97 EL konking out

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 10:14 AM
Default '97 EL konking out

Gidday people, my car keeps konking out when it wants to. Driving normally, rolling up to lights, turning corners. It shuts down but will start with little fuss and keeps on going. Just had a Diagnosis done at a nationally recognised company which cost $90 - and found nothing logged on the computer ( unless it happened when it was hooked up to the machine ). They said it MIGHT be a Ignition Modual and/or Hallway Sensor with intermittent failure. They also recommended a Throttle Body and Inlet Manifold flush plus a EFI System clean. They also advised me that the car is running very rich and carboned up a bit. I am thinking of getting the latter done because it's cheaper than replacing the dizzy cap. I have put in a bottle of injecter cleaner to see if would make a difference. I can do most things under the bonnet but this one has got me stuffed. Any advice would be appriciated before I spend any more money on a dodgey machanic.

Old 07-28-2005, 05:04 PM
Default RE: '97 EL konking out

NNNAAAHH, just clean or replace the idle controller, very simple. Also spray a can or two of carb cleaner into the throttle body with engine running, you will have to gas it up to keep it running. Another thing that is good, is a real injector clean job you'll have to take it to a shop for that as the tools for this run $$$$.

Old 07-28-2005, 07:54 PM

Gotta ask ???? DODGEY, ???? not a term us Crackers are familer with , heck might want to use it sometime my self .

Old 07-28-2005, 08:44 PM

YEA !!!!!! Thats the ticket !!!!