General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 Taurus stalling and power steering problem. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Default 98 Taurus stalling and power steering problem. HELP!

Was having a problem with my '98 Taurus stalling/hesitating while driving. Took it to a local garage and found out the catalytic converter was shot. Two weeks ago had a new converter and new fuel filter put on, and had the fuel system flushed. Runs orWAS running great until today.

Think I'vegot (2) problems now:

1) A few days ago, while I was driving, the car wanted to stall again. The Speedometer wouldn't register, but when I got to 40-50 mph the Speedometer started working and the car stopped hesitating. And today, my "Check Engine Light" came on. Someone told me it could be the Oxygen sensor going out.

2) Also while driving today, the wheel started turning hard, like I didn't have any power steering. It felt like it was "locking up." Started back home andafter a few miles, the power steering kicked back in.Got the car home and checked the power steering fluid - it was full. Could it be a valve sticking in the power steering motor, or something else?

Would really appreciate your help. I'm going to try to get someone to check it out tomorrow, but since I'm a gal, I don't want to get taken advantage of. Have a cousin who's a mechanic, but he's too far away to look at it himself.

Any ideas/comments would be most appreciated. Thanks much!

98 Taurus Gal

Old 09-29-2008, 08:15 AM
Default RE: 98 Taurus stalling and power steering problem. HELP!

Autozone will read the codes for free in hopes you buy parts. Have them read the codes and post back here.
As for the steering, there is a pressure switch in the system that may have failed. Or possibly the neutral safety switch is going bad. I know it sounds silly, but Ford runs a lot of wiring through the neutral safety switch and it can cause the steering problem. It also may be part of the stalling problem. Post the EXACT code numbers back and we can help you.