General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

AC compressor - replace from above or below?

Old 07-03-2014, 01:24 PM
Default AC compressor - replace from above or below?

I searched the Windstar section of this forum and checked Youtube to no avail.

I have a 99 Windstar and I need to replace the AC compressor. My manual does not offer much helpful information as far as how to remove and replace it. Can anyone tell me if it is possible from above or below? If both are possible, which one is preferred or easier?

Thanks!

Old 07-13-2014, 11:06 AM

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:09 AM

I replaced the one on my 2004 Freestar, Same basic design. I R&R'd mine from below.

Why are you replacing your compressor? Failure? Have you pulled the orifice to see if there is any crud in it? If there is crud, you would be best to also replace the condensor and the dryer/accumulator also. Otherwise, you may have and early death to the new compressor. If you have rear A/C, you would also need to flush that portion of the system along with checking the rear expansion valve for any crud in it.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:06 PM
Default Do you happen to know....?

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense
I replaced the one on my 2004 Freestar, Same basic design. I R&R'd mine from below.

Why are you replacing your compressor? Failure? Have you pulled the orifice to see if there is any crud in it? If there is crud, you would be best to also replace the condensor and the dryer/accumulator also. Otherwise, you may have and early death to the new compressor. If you have rear A/C, you would also need to flush that portion of the system along with checking the rear expansion valve for any crud in it.
Thanks for your reply. Sorry I have been so slow to respond.

My clutch is the problem. The compressor is fine and the AC worked VERY GOOD up until the recent clutch problem. I was contemplating replacing the compressor and clutch as a unit instead of just installing a new clutch. However, I am now having second thoughts and I may just replace the clutch if it is possible without 'breaking' the AC system open. I have to do some homework and see if it is possible to replace the clutch without removing the hose assembly from the compressor. Either way I will have to remove my P/S pump and unbolt the compressor from the engine block. It will have to be done from above, as there is not room below due to the crossmember.

I am not positive where my orifice tube is located, do you happen to know? Also, do you know if the clutch can be R&Red without removing the hose assy from the compressor? Thanks!

Old 07-28-2014, 11:57 PM

You should be able to replace the clutch without breaking the system open. However, you may not have enough room to get the required tools and your paws in the same area. I personally would recover the system and pull the pump to do the replacement. You could then remove the orifice for the front evaporator to see if there's any crud in it that would point to possibly needing to replace the pump. The front orifice is located in the A/C line just before it enters the firewall. You will need to remove the upper and lower cowl to gain access to it. If you open the system, a new dry/receiver would be a good investment also.