General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Auto Transmisson Shifter "Sloppy"

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 02:20 PM
Default Auto Transmisson Shifter "Sloppy"

Seems as if my 2000 Explorer has developed a sloppy shifter. Lots of "play" in the different gear detent positions and having to "search" for the firm lock into gear. As a note, fluid was changed about a month ago but problem just started in past few days. Any suggestions??
Thanks!!!

Old 12-13-2006, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Auto Transmisson Shifter "Sloppy"

Look towards the end/base of the steering column from under the dash.. You'll see a bracket/arm that the shifter cable attaches to.. Make sure that the 2 screws are tight.. They come loose and back out causing 'shift hunting'.. They should be loctite as well..

Here's a pic of the column main body (you can see the arm at the end) and the arm and screws..

[IMG]local://upfiles/6756/3D6072AF8E7843898858A153DDCFB544.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6756/D56E0EAB00D643738A91AAC6306328ED.gif[/IMG]

Old 12-16-2006, 02:23 PM

BINGO!!! That was exactly the problem!! You are a genius!!
I really appreciate the help and very accurate DX of my problem...you made my day!!
Thanks again!!!

Old 12-18-2006, 03:01 PM

Just as a sub-note, this qualifies as a fix. Exactly what I needed to complete my repair !!

Great help from some very smart people

Thanks!!!!!

Old 12-18-2006, 04:37 PM

Way to go, HayaPower! And,welcome to the forum, Sami! Thanks for posting back to let us know this solved your problem, as it can also help others in the future.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:10 PM

Do you guys know if that bracket/arm where the shift cable attachs is able to be adjusted in or out? The reason I ask is that my shifter cable is up against a vacuum sensor of some sort that attached to the front top of the brake paddle and applies my brake lights when I shift into park. I dont want to take it apart if its not adjustable? thanx ernie

Old 03-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Read your posts a few times and I'm not sure of what your asking or what the concern is..

The arm is non adjustable, the shifter cable is only adjustable from the transmission end/attachment.. Most times doesn't require adjustment if not disturbed or damaged..If it's just an issue of the shift cable rubbing/contacting another component you could cable tie it out of the path, especially if it's already been replaced and wasn'r routed correctly.. If you have a digital camera, this would be a good time for a closer look for clarification..

Old 03-19-2007, 10:41 PM

I took some pics hopefully you guys can tell what i'm talking about..Huh i cant post them? http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2115016893

Old 12-13-2012, 01:51 PM
Default Images

Just did this fix on my 2000 Explorer - thanks so much for the info! Thought I'd share some more images with the group. The first is my view of the bolts as I was working on this:

The space is very cramped, but it's accessible without taking anything apart. I'm 6'1" and 200lbs, and I managed to get in there (though I had to take a few breaks due to my shoulders and arms cramping up). You basically want your head at the brake pedal, looking up. Engaging the parking brake makes for a few extra crucial inches' clearance - and is a smart idea anyway should you put it into neutral!

Which brings up another good bit of information - putting the vehicle into neutral is VERY helpful! In park, the right/top bolt is mostly out of sight and much harder to reach. This position put the heads of the two bolts in a clear line, as seen above.

The second image is just a picture of the tools I used, for reference. The stubby little screwdriver was perfect for cranking them in, and I used the 3" extension on the ratchet to tighten them up at the end.

I'm sorry to say I've never even learned to do the little maintenance bits of work on my own vehicles. It's been a goal of mine to change that for a long time, and this tiny fix was my first step towards that. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction - she shifts like new again now!

Attached Thumbnails  Auto Transmisson Shifter "Sloppy"-shift-bolts.jpg    Auto Transmisson Shifter "Sloppy"-tools.jpg  
Old 03-03-2013, 10:01 PM

Had the same issue this weekend on a 2001 E350. Wedged up in there and seen one bolt was missing. Tightened up the one with a 4mm Allen wrench. Lasted a few shifts but loosened right up. Anyone know the size??? Since I am missing one I don't want to take the second one out and have a hard time reassembling it all. AutoZone and advance auto parts were of no help. I'm going to stop at a Ford dealer so they can pull up a schematic of it and get the part number and get the correct bolt and just throw some thread lock on it and reinsert it.

Quick Reply: Auto Transmisson Shifter "Sloppy"