General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cruise control troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 10:58 AM
Default Cruise control troubleshooting

I bought a 1994 ford f250 a few months ago. when i purchased it the cruise control does not work. i do a lot of highway driving back and forth to school and at work. i would really like to have my cruise control back. i have already looked for fuses for the system but i did not find any and i didn't find any fuses burned up for anything. the controls in the steering wheel are properly hooked up also. im now looking at the relay or cruise module for the problem. does anyone know of what other problems areas there are or what other problems might be before i spend money on these new items? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:31 PM
Default RE: Cruise control troubleshooting

I bought a 94 F150 back in March the crusie didnt work. My brother in law who use to work for Ford took apart the control box. The gears were froze up, so hecleaned it and sprayed lube on the gears put it back together it worked fine. I dont use it a lot but the next time I did it wouldnt work again. I took it apart and it was froze up again I cleanened and re lubed the bearings at the motor on the inside. Then cafully poped the cap off the outside bearing cover ( carefull has a sping between bearing and cap) it had a slight surface rust on it. I cleaned it then put a light lube on it and on the cover to seal out moister pressed the cap back on and pinched it back tight with a pair of pliers ( it is like a bottle cap it has to be recapped to keep it on). Since then it has worked every time I needed it.