General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 10:50 PM
Default RE: engine swap

first off the engine and transmission you have will fit in the fairlane but it is going to take some work purchase stock motor mounts for a 221/260 (stock 260,289 mounts will fit any windsor motor including the 351)V8 and find a set of motor mount perches from a 62-64 for fairlane v8 car the I6 perches will not work an aftermarket X member is available (dearborn classics, autocrafters etc) or one can be fabricated either the small bellhousing C4 or the Large bellhousing C4 will fit the trans tunnel but the little one will give you a lot less length and more room for headers etc as for the accesory drive clearance is a issue if you can find a early set of pulley's (65-66 mustang try colorado mustang) great if not go with a serpentine setup from a carburated fox body mustang about 79-83 or so as these had the bosses on the timing cover for the fuel pump (FYI a late model power steering pump will work with the vintage power steering ram control valve etc) also for acc drive clearance the motor mounts can be drilled and the entire driveline set back about a inch and a half a drive shaft will have to be fabricated (inland empire) to go on the eight or nine inch you will have to use (the 7.5 in the car CANNOT handle a V8 nor can its I6 brakes, leaf springs etcthe entire rear unit will have to be swapped as well as most of the front suspension you will have to install V8 springs, spindles, complete brakes, lower control arms, centerlink, tierods inner and outer, idler arm, and hardlines and hoses the entire cooling system will have to go as well (summit has generic radiators with various inlet outlet positions)as well as the generator (powermaster one wire 100 amp alternator is what i'm running) as for linkages install a throttle pedal assy out of a late 70's GM truck and ditch the rods and links all together use a Lokar throttle cable to hook everything up also buy a Lokar kickdown cable and brackets for a C4 ford the stock column shifter rod will fit the C4 if you use the linkage and neutral safety backup light switch off a early C4 but will take some bending to clear the exhaust buy repop 289 hipo manifolds these will fit and give you good sound watch out for hood clearance when installing a intake and carb any high rise or airgap will not allow the hood to close unless you cut a hole in it hope this helps write me if you have more questions