General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ford diesel trucks and power stroke diesel engines

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 05:30 PM
Default Ford diesel trucks and power stroke diesel engines

Ford Diesel trucks an Power Stroke diesel engines, Ford recalls and know Ford truck and diesel engine performance and repair issues.
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/

Old 05-31-2012, 02:02 PM
pmg
Default ford diesel engine which one is the best

I am new to the forum i have a question for anyone willing to answer...currently i own a 1999 ford super duty f250 with V10 i am looking at either installing a supercharger kit or just buying a used truck with a diesel which diesel engine would be recomended 6.0, 6.4 ect...i pull a 29ft fifth wheel among other things my truck now does fine just want more for the long trips...

Old 05-31-2012, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Chip/SC on it would be an option, but a conversion attempt gas over to a 6.0-6.4 would not be cost affective. You'd be better off selling the 99 and buying a later diesel or a similar MY 7.3. If you want to stay with a PS, stay away from the 6.4.

We used to convert late 70's 250-350's to Perkins and Detroits. Was a sizeable job even back then, not to mention emission regs now.

You could do a cummins conversion into your 99 250..

fordcummins.com - Increase Horsepower with Ford Cummins Diesel conversion kits

Old 06-01-2012, 10:49 AM
pmg

Thanks for the info I'll be looking into the Cummins any other ideas on squeezing out some power I already have it chipped, headers, cold air intake, and cat back system again thanks for your help

Old 09-15-2018, 09:28 AM

I am in need of some help. I have a 99 F350 4x4 386K miles, if I can't fix the issue my husband is threating to force me to sell my truck and get a CAR!!!!!!

So I've had the truck almost 3 years now, a couple of times a year I have the same problem and it's not triggering any codes. While driving the truck engine will lose power, stutter and stall out and die. I've checked everything oil level, fuel filter, fuel pumps, fuses. I have no leaks of any kind, no oil nothing and I'll have a full tank of gas. After the truck dies it just will not turn over, I mean it starts to crank but it will just not start; then next day turn the key and wham it kicks hard and drives like a champ, like nothing ever happened. I just had the issue again 3 days ago this time when I pulled the fuel filter to check it after replacing it my bowl would not fill up. I had to pour diesel in to the bowl and add the filter but it still wouldn't start. Sure enough went out the next day (truck was on the side of the road, my husband down graded from dually to explorer so I had no one to tow me home). Anyways next day turned the key and it was like nothing had happened the day before. HELP, I LOVE my truck and don't wanta go to the dark side with my hubby and down grade....

Last edited by SaraAlbarez; 09-15-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Welcome to the site..

By checking the pump? how so?
When the key is cycled ON you should hear the pump run noise since its nearly under the drivers floor area.
Being the truck is higher mileage, do you happen to know if the pump/module has been changed?
The 7.3 uses a 'return to tank' fuel system that cycles/runs with the key in ON/RUN so fuel circulates throughout the system back to the tank. And if you removed the cap and filter and had a helper or? cycle the key to 'short run' the pump to whiteness the bowl level rise, and nothing happened (?), its an issue related to fuel delivery. If the pump is OE high time/mileage it certainly could be dropping out meaning intermittent fail.
If on a stall, you carefully listen for the pump whine/hiss and hear nothing, or weak audible etc. its generally a pump. BUT, a pump can run and not deliver enough pressure/volume. Unless well below delivery spec to cause a stall or no start, usually the truck will suffer from a flat or low/no top end with a dying pump.

The other thing that can happen for a flat throttle/no top end is,, inside the fuel tank there's a fuel module that has a large intake screen like most do,, but inside the large housing is a few cylinder type micro screens. These over time and extended mileage will restrict and be cause for poor performance. BUT, they generally wont cause a no start because only being a fuel restriction, usually when the pump cycles long enough it will eventually build enough pressure to fire the truck up. Usually doesn't affect low end since the fuel demand isn't as high, unless the restriction is severe..
So,, unless there a power distribution issue to the pump,, I'd have a closer look at the pump.

To help prove out a pump etc prior to replacement (if not already)
On the ends of the heads of the 7.3 there are 1/8" pipe plugs. If you know anyone equipped and handy ,, they can hook up a fuel pressure tester to the head and route a gauge so it can be viewed by the driver,,, on a stall if a pump fail occurs, restriction (most often just power loss), or power distribution to run the pump fails,, pressure will indicate the pump has stopped producing....

Last edited by Hayapower; 09-15-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:14 PM

I can hear the pump whine/hiss, not sure when it was replaced last as I've only had the truck for 3 years. I can tell that it's not a factory pump and the lines look newer as well. I do have some intermittent power issues with accelerating. Sometimes it's hard to pick up speed moving form 1st to 2nd even after I feel the gear engage. (I drive with my windows down so I can hear every noise my truck makes , plus I just love the sound) The problem I'm having has already happened a few times before, this time it was a little different the things that happened before it quit running. About 3 days before I noticed hard diesel smell in cab from the vents. I had just replaced the blower motor about a week before, so I thought maybe a hose was loose. I pulled over and my fuel filter cap was really loose and spurting diesel everywhere. I tightened it back down and checked it every time I drove for 3 days and no other issues. I'm thinking your right Hayapower that it's the pump, just wanta really narrow it down before I start dropping money and replacing stuff. Plus doing the fuel pump by self is a feet, (as my husband has retired from what he calls "chasing the trucks" since moving over to the dark side.) had to do it on his dually 1X when I was using it while he was out of town and the pump went out and left me stuck on the side of the road.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by windystar
Ford Diesel trucks an Power Stroke diesel engines, Ford recalls and know Ford truck and diesel engine performance and repair issues.
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/
weird high pitch whistle/whining noise inside my cab in a 2000 ford f250 7.3 powerstroke, it happens when I'm driving it comes and goes time to time quite often as I'm driving, any ideas of what it can be?

Old 08-26-2019, 10:00 PM

My dad has a '93 with a non turbo 7.3, it takes him 2-3 hours to start it up unless he restarts it every few hours. He says the fuel drains out of the filters, injection rails, etc. My brother helped him with attempting to find & repair the air leak for many moths. Does the diesel fuel system have a check valve in the return line similar to the gas engine systems? I had a similar experience with a Ranger that I rebuilt the engine for, so I am curious about this.

Last edited by dwheimbigner; 08-26-2019 at 10:01 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-26-2019, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..
They had a lift pump similar to a gasser, and the injection pumps were subject to failures. Has either ever been changed on this truck?
Glow system failures,, complete or partial will make for very hard starting as well..

Quick Reply: Ford diesel trucks and power stroke diesel engines