General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Here's a strange one...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Default Here's a strange one...

...and hoping someone can offer some insight. I have a 2003 Ford Escape, and just today I noticed the weirdest problem. I get in the car, back out of my driveway, I put the car in DRIVE and hit the gas pedal. At this point my interior lights come on (map lights, center light, tailgate light). Then they fade back to OFF. Stop at an intersection and pull out onto the road. Once again, hitting the gas makes the interior lights come on for a few seconds until I either let off the gas or it switches to 2nd gear.

Anyone have any ideas? This is truly weird.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:09 PM
Default RE: Here's a strange one...

Wow, that's wierd. I hate to admit it but about 10 years ago I had a Kia Sportage. All of a sudden the Check Engine light came on and when I pulled into a parking space and shut off the engine with my foot on the brake, the parking lights and dash lights would come on. When I let off the brake the lights would go out. Step on the brake and thet would come on again. The problem turned out to be a burned out brake light. The computer realized that there was a "problem" and went haywire. All I had to do was to replace the brake light bulb and reset the computer. The way I reset the computer was to disconnect the battery (positive terminal) and pump the brakes a few times to discharge the residual electricity in the computer. Once the battery was hooked back up, the problem was gone. Sometimes the computers go crazy when it detects some minor problem. I'm not sure if it will help, but check your lights.