General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How to release tension on parking brake

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 10:24 AM
Default How to release tension on parking brake

I'm in the process of replacing my parking brake control on my 2014 Ford Explorer. However, I can not seem to figure out how to loosen the tension on the cable. I have a factory service repair manual, and it says ...

"With an assistant, release the parking brake cable tension by pulling down on the front cable at the cable-to-cable union
until the parking brake control sector rotates to its stop and a 4 mm (0.15 in) x 150 mm (5.9 in) retainer pin can be
inserted."

I have a new parking brake control, with a pin inserted, so I see what is supposed to happen to the existing brake. And I see a cable to cable assembly under the car (I THINK it's what those instructions are referring to). I pull on it and nothing budges. I'm putting all of my weight into it, and NOTHING. Am I missing something? How can I get some slack in the line?

Old 11-22-2020, 03:24 PM

So I have never done this on a explorer but it looks like the same system on the mustang which I have done.

You need to get under the vehicle and pull on the cable that comes out the cab and goes backward, then two holes will line up on the parking brake pedal assembly and you can put a pin(allen key) in it to hold it so there is no tension. Then you release the forward control side cable from the cable union which is under the vehicle.

Old 11-22-2020, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by scott.butler4
So I have never done this on a explorer but it looks like the same system on the mustang which I have done.

You need to get under the vehicle and pull on the cable that comes out the cab and goes backward, then two holes will line up on the parking brake pedal assembly and you can put a pin(allen key) in it to hold it so there is no tension. Then you release the forward control side cable from the cable union which is under the vehicle.
Yeah, that sounds like the same process. So, when you say - pull the cable - that's the part that's getting me. I've pulled down, as in toward the ground, and it barely moves at all. I don't see how you could pull it back - away from the front, though that's obviously what needs to happen. Did you use some tool or did you do it by hand?

Old 11-23-2020, 06:09 AM

No special tool to my knowledge, your suppose to pull at the union so you can get a good grip on it, you could try and use vice grips on the cable for a better grip, dont completely crush it nor grip it right near the grommet.
I dont know if this is feasible but you could try pushing upward on the pedal and see if you can get it to go far enough.
Not to suggest your stupid but you dont have the parking brake engaged do you?

Old 11-23-2020, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by scott.butler4
No special tool to my knowledge, your suppose to pull at the union so you can get a good grip on it, you could try and use vice grips on the cable for a better grip, dont completely crush it nor grip it right near the grommet.
I dont know if this is feasible but you could try pushing upward on the pedal and see if you can get it to go far enough.
Not to suggest your stupid but you dont have the parking brake engaged do you?
No, I didn't have the brake engaged ... so, the reason I am replacing the brake in the first place is because it wasn't catching, so maybe it was a problem with the brake locked up and not allowing me to pull the cable. I don't know. I got to a point where I just cut the cable. I'm replacing it anyway, so ... that worked. But now, where the cable to cable union is, that thing is STUCK. Any tips on how to get this thing to slide out? I've got plenty of slack now, but I've tried a few things and made no progress. I included a picture ...

Old 11-25-2021, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Lombardo
No, I didn't have the brake engaged ... so, the reason I am replacing the brake in the first place is because it wasn't catching, so maybe it was a problem with the brake locked up and not allowing me to pull the cable. I don't know. I got to a point where I just cut the cable. I'm replacing it anyway, so ... that worked. But now, where the cable to cable union is, that thing is STUCK. Any tips on how to get this thing to slide out? I've got plenty of slack now, but I've tried a few things and made no progress. I included a picture ...
I’m having a similar issue where my emergency brake is partially engaged, causing the caliper to remain slightly engaged, burning through pads.

I have an appointment to have the cables replaced, but it’s not for another week.

does anyone have a photo of a “disengaged caliper” they could share so I can get down there to confirm the brake is released?

I don’t want to spend a week destroying my rotors and pads before the fix.

any advise is appreciated.