General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I'm an idiot

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 08:37 AM
Default I'm an idiot

So not really a tech question, but seeing if anyone has any ways to fix this...

So my son was climbing across the truck from driver to passenger side and fell, grabbed the rearview mirror and ripped it off. No big deal, right? Well....I got some epoxy glue and glued the mount back on while I was talking to a buddy and was only half paying attention. Well, I glued the damn thing on backwards so I can't hook the rearview mirror back on there. Wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks to undo epoxy glue. I googled the holy hell out of it with no results. Figured I'd try my luck on here.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Might try and use a good/wet soaking of acetone, paint remover etc. against the button. Possibly a soft wet cloth inside some foil or tin cup (less evap and drip) tapped against the glass set over some time. Careful, not to drip or inhale.. Bad stuff..
Soaking and re soaking should break down the bond. Don't pry or strike the button from the side it can break the glass. They sell a mirror button adhesive kit and is a better choice over epoxy..

Old 03-22-2017, 10:43 AM

I'll give it a go and update. Thanks!