General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need f 150 4 speed to automatic swap advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 07:21 AM
Default Need f 150 4 speed to automatic swap advice

Ive got an 1979 f150 2wd with the 351 and a 4 speed.i want to put an automatic trans in this truck.What is a good automatic trans to replace it with. What years and vehicles can i use a transmission from?I have a carb on the truck that has the kickdown linkage for the automatic.Obviously i will need a shifter,torque converter,flexplate,maybe a driveshaft yoke,trans cooler,kick down linkage,maybe cross member.What other things will i need to make the swap?I use this truck as my daily driver now.I haul things with it and will be using it for long highway trips in the near future.Older vehicles are plentiful where i live so finding a trans is no problem.Any advice would be appreciated as im unfamiliar with fords..I was wondering if a later model overdrive trans would work but i am trying to keep this as simple and sensible as possible.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

C6 would have been OE.

AOD 'could' be an option too to better the MPG, but requires an adapter plate for the 351M to mate, start motor tweeks, convertor, special dip tube, D/shaft work, cross member ect. and being an auto/overdrive you may need to change rear gear ratio. AOD linkages/control would need fab since AOD was never offered in that M/Y. Cost to go AOD would be significant.

I converter my old 79 4x4 to a C6 auto. A column replacement makes the swap easier over a aftermarket floor unit, looks/functions better IMO, and pretty much which you already listed is required to complete the conversion. Cross member is just shifted back if memory serves. DS may need to be worked. Not a bad job at all, and not too cost prohibitive if you have a good or reman. trans to start with.. Best bet is to locate a donor and get all the pieces at one time, cooling lines, linkages, column, shaft/ WB dependent, and can be had usually at a reasonable price.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:35 AM

Thankyou very much i appreciate your help.The C6 is with ill go with.What years would i be looking for?As long as the vehicle has a 3 speed automatic is should be good.Im assuming any larger vehicle with a 351 or 302 should work.Pickup,van,lincoln,LTD etc.Will my starter work from the 4 speed?Did ford use different tail shaft lengths like chevy did?The u pull it yard in albuquerque has a good variety of all these vehicles so i can piece this together from several different vehicles for a couple hundred dollars.Like i said im unfamiliar with ford for the most part and thanks again for your help.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:04 PM
Default ..F-150 4 spd to auto swap..

d/c40 I'm new here, and this is my first reply, allow me to see if I can help you out. First you have to have a radiator for an automatic, I would use one out of a truck or van for effective cooling, 1975-80, trans lines and I think the cross member for those yrs are the same for both if not stick with a truck. A trans (C6) from either trk or van, a passenger car will have a different tailshaft, smaller yoke, and will also be lighter duty. There is a poss AOD with cable kickdown this is only an 84-86 at the latest that ford made that didn't shift off the computer as did 87 and newer, but I think in the mid to late 70's most were C6's with a mechanical kickdown rod that connected to the throttle side of the carb. You didn't say if you had a reg/cab short or longbed or a ext/cab long or short bed, i'v even seen a 4dr in either...makes big difference to your swap. What ever you have try to find the same to make your change go much easer and simpler, also remember to take every nut and bolt with you and even use your phone (if it takes pics, and take several) will also help out a lot. I'm sure there is more to help, at this time its hard to remember all. Any more questions i'll be here just ask again.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:01 PM

Thankyou for your input KD-DET.Truck is a 1/2 ton,2 dr,8ft bed.Ill look for a van or truck,i kinda figured tail shafts might be different in a car.as far as the radiator,ill just ad an external trans cooler.I do have the barb that accepts the kickdown rod.Hopefully i can get to u pull it in a couple weeks.