General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need a recommendation!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 10:04 PM
Default Need a recommendation!

I've been a Ford owner of some kind since 1970. I own a 2001 F250 4x4 Supercab 7.3 Diesel right now that I just love! The wife owns a new Freestyle station wagon. But the problem I'm having is this! My college son runs into the house and yells, get the fire extinguisher the Bronco is on fire!...........He has a 1996 Eddie Bauer Bronco that is gorgeous.........and yes it was on fire sitting in the drive way at 10PM this evening. We go out and extinquish the fire in the engine compartment and starting looking for a source for the fire. We finally narrow it down to the master cylinder switch on the reservoir(which is now melted down) the wiring going to the sensors are burnt down to the bare copper on all of these wires leading from the master cylinder. After futher inspection we realize that some of the wiring harnesses below the master cylinder are also burnt.....................this is the problem, I'm fully capable of replacing all of these wiring harnesses and fixing the master cylinder.......the hood has fire damage but that's just cosmetic! The insurance he keeps on his Bronco is just liability only.........the bronco is in my name........would home owners cover it? And being a 96 is it worth the effort for me to repair it? Bare with me this is my first post on this forum and i'm a newbie! Thanks for any and all suggestions! I did run a search on this site and see where Ford had a recall on these vary switches and the same problem we experienced happened to our Bronco!

Old 08-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Default RE: Need a recommendation!

Does not sound like anything a trip to the junk yard would not fix. Should be the same wiring as the f-150's have. Might be easier than all the cut and splice you would do otherwise. If it truly looks that good then it is surely worth fixing.