General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New here Problems with my F250

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 12:56 PM
Default New here Problems with my F250

Hi.
I am new to this forum and hoping that I can maybe find some help with a issue on my truck. I am not sure where the real problem is at.

when I am going at speeds between 40-58 miles per hour on the highway or hit a severe pothole in the road the truck begins to shake really violently.
A friend that followed me and checked out what it looks like tells me that it looks like booth front wheels seem to be moving from left to right in a very rapid fashion.

I have had 3 garages and 2 dealer ships give me different reasons for this problem everything from the frame rivets are coming loose to possible problems with the steering.

anyone have a clue what this might be and how to go about repairing it?

truck specs are a f250 superduty with vtech 5.2 gas power
standard transmission.

this truck has been a 2 owner passed from my father in law to my wife. It has never been wrecked or in any accidents. On the road. She was tapped on the right rear bumper just enough to move the rubber by a fedex truck in a parking lot.

I am at a loss as to what might be causing this Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 06-17-2005, 10:49 AM
Default RE: New here Problems with my F250

The first thing to do is to have the ball joints inspected, tie rods and the steering link. If they are all ok, then you want to have the front end alignment checked. Also check to make sure you have the right amount of air in the tires. Low tires will affect the steering. My F250 wanders and everything in the front end is brand new. The front end has been aligned also. The camber is out which is supposedly causing this problem. Once I get the front springs re-arched to get the truck back up where it belongs my wandering should go away. I would think that your tie rods or steering link is gone.

Old 06-28-2005, 06:36 PM

I am new to this site also but there is another site for f250 and diesels that I use a lot www.thedieselshop.com, I recommend it highly the guys are good......

Old 06-28-2005, 08:16 PM

One other item to check is the steering box adjust for the sector shaft. Have you had any luck with your truck yet getting it fixed?

Old 09-25-2006, 12:28 AM

Hello, anyone figure out what the problem was with this? We are having the same problem. Thanks!

Old 09-25-2006, 12:40 AM

As mentioned above. You really need to check all of the front end parts for looseness and have the front end aligned. Usually it is the steering link that causes this or toe out. Another item to check is the front U-Joints if you have a four wheel drive. These can cause problems if they are gone.

Old 09-30-2006, 01:13 AM

yea get all of this checked out and make sure nothing is coming loose and the bushings and front end alignment looks good...do you have any problems with shimiing when just driving along at higher speeds because i was going to say that it could be your tires need to be reballanced but it seems like it is only when you hit a bump that it causes the problems so you will need to check the front end like what was suggested.

Old 10-13-2006, 04:25 AM

Well, I see this is a older post but had to throw in my 2 cents,

On my F250-F350's, it was allways the steering link coming off the pitman arm shaft that gave out first,,, An if you have wide tires an wheels on these girls , it just makes it that much worst........An another thing that I have found that helps is to put a steering stablizer ( looks like a shock ) on them if they dont have one,,, an or go up to the next larger rod size on the stablizer

Alot of my customers haul trailers, lawn equipment , up to grading tractors on these ole girls back, An I've installed the stablizer on their trucks,,,,, also if you do haul a load all the time have your alignment done with a load on the truck if possible , most regular repair shops cant do this , you gotta take it to a place that works on 18 wheelers

Several months back my F550 rearend went out , took it to the Ford dealer, they couldnt lift it up on their rack to work on it,, they wanted me to unload my tools from the truck--- yea right