General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

opinions on washing engine/engine compartment?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 12:44 PM
Default opinions on washing engine/engine compartment?

Hello, I have a 92' Ford Ranger with 2.9 V6. The original engine has over 230,000 miles. I have been in the habit of washing my engine/engine components once or twice a year. I never had any known problems related to this, except the engine not starting for several hours, then it is ok. I have never covered any components and I would spray the engine degreaser on everything. I even pressure washed a few times.

Now I am thinking that I should adjust this procedure, and I wonder if I might be shortening the life of the engine components.
Should I just cover parts with aluminum foil/ plastic wrap and used garden hose with nozzle. Should I avoid high pressure water altogether? What is the best and safest way to wash engine compartment?

Thanks,
Dave

Old 05-21-2007, 08:14 PM
Default RE: opinions on washing engine/engine compartment?

i would avoid using high pressuse as you will be forcing water into electrical connections our you could Cut wires or hoses. my pressure washer is only 1200psi, and ive never used it on blast on any part of a vehicle.

Here are the instructions as per my can of motomaster Citrus Heavy-Duty Engine Cleaner (im not a salesman.. i jsut like the way this stuff works)

1. Start COLD engine, Allow it to idle for a maximum of TWO minutes, or until the valve cover is WARM to the touch
2. TURN ENGINE OFF, Remove the air filter and cover the carburator opening and distributor.
3. Spray Dry engine generously, rinse and overspray from exterior body surface immediately to avoid damage to your paint finish
4. allow cleaner to soak in for 10-15minutes. use a brush on heavy grease deposits.
5. HOSE OFF THOROUGHLY, with strong Stream of water. when rinsing is complete, remove covers from carburator and distributor and replace air cleaner. Start engine immediately. Let Idle for 15 minutes to ensure complete drying.

NOTE: Do not use this product over asphalt, ruber tile, or other surfaces that could be damaged by a petrolium solvent. Use over a cement floor.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:56 PM
Default RE: opinions on washing engine/engine compartment?

I have never used the engine degreasures, as I thought they were to harsh for routine cleaning. I have regularly used Simple Green and a light rinse. I would never want to spray water on a warm engine particularly the new engines with aluminum and plastic parts. My procedure is allow engine to cool until the same as air temp or start with cold engine. Lightly rinse engine, actually it also the simple green to run better when sprayed on. Spray with concentrated Simple Green allow for soak time 10-15 minute plenty, use a brush if needed. Rinse off lightly. This will not take 10 year of grim to a shine the first time but it can be done every time you wasthe truck. Ihave do it for years on my cars and it makes repairs a lot cleaner.