General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Remote Starter - Locks but won't Unlock

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 05:16 AM
Default Remote Starter - Locks but won't Unlock

I know that this is Ford forum and not a Saturn forum but Saturn isn't cool like Ford to have a forum with awesome people to help with problems that the unexperienced can't figure out on their own. But since this problem doesn't have anything to do with the car... mechanically speaking... I thought I'd shout it out to someone and see if they had the same problem.

With that, here are my troubles:

I have a 92 Saturn SL2 and recently bought it from an auction back in August '05 and to my surprise it had a remote starter on it. I'm guessing since the remote start button and the lock/unlock (to lock and unlock the car) button are on the same remote that whoever put it in, in the first place that they wired it so that it would lock and unlock the car. Recently, like the last 2 weeks, the remote will lock the car but won't unlock the car. And if you are sitting inside the car you can hear a click sound when it locks and unlocks the car so I know that its getting a signal... it's just not unlocking the car.

Can anybody help me out?

Nick

P.S. I know nothing about how remote starters are put in.

Old 01-18-2006, 06:05 AM
Default RE: Remote Starter - Locks but won't Unlock

there are a few things that it could be. Sometimes lock and unlock are different wires, and the original installer possibly could not find the unlock wire. Sometimes (especially with GM's) the lock outputs from aftermarket remote starts need relays or resistors to get the doorlocks to work correctly. Again the original installer may have not used the correct resistor for unlock , therefore it clicks but does not actually unlock. It may not be something you can fix on your own, and most places will not work on equipment that is not purchased there, so you may end up buying a new r/s with keyless entry to actually solve the problem, unfortunately.