General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Solid write-up on Replacing 2000 Focus Oil Pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 12:05 PM
Default Solid write-up on Replacing 2000 Focus Oil Pump

Hey Focus guys and gals,

I found a solid D.I.Y. write-up on fordforums.com (thanks djzx3!) and decided to share it with you guys :

To remove the oil pump from a Zetec your going to need to remove the accessories belt, and timing belt first, To remove the accessories belt you will need to find the tensionair down on the back left of the motor, after that you will need to remove the passenger side motor mount by jacking at the oil pan, once you remove the motor mount you will have to remove the dust covers on the bottom of the pulley for the timing belt, once you've done that put the motor mount back on, and begin removing the oil pan, now the oil pan has no gakset, it is just RTV, so a putty knife will be needed, just be very carful not to nick the block.

After that you will need to pull the whole driver side axle, CV axle and all. Which you might run into a problem getting the lower control arm ball joint to disconnect, so the whole knuckle and arm might need to come out, and ball joint will need to be replaced. Note: trans fluid will pour out.
Name:  driveaxleisoutnow004.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  82.4 KBName:  z-thedeedisdone002.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  70.8 KBName:  driveaxleisoutnow005.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  81.3 KB
Then you will also have to remove that bearing carrier for the axle too.

After that you will need to crawl under and get the oil pump pick- up off too. You will also have to remove two of the lower A/C bolts too. And then you should be able to remove the windage case, or otherwise known as the crank case.

Then the oil pump will be assessable from the passenger side.

Note: some of the exhaust will have to come out too!
Here is the windage case.
Name:  windagetrayoffandpistonsout005.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  17.8 KB
and here is a tool I had pops make to be able to push out the axle from the knuckle.[IMG][/IMG]
You will want to replace the timing belt while your in there, along with tensionair and idler. I bought these parts and a lower gasket kit from fordpartsgiant.com because it was cheap and OEM.Name:  huntertimingkit003.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  91.0 KB

This write-up helped me quite a bit when I replaced an oil pump in a '00 Focus!