General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Spark Plug blowout

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Default Spark Plug blowout

Hello, I am new here so please do not get upset with me if I am asking a question already posted. I did a search but did not find much on this issue.
My 2000 Ford Excursion V10 blew the same plug for the second time. It was on the passenger side second from the rear and were the original Motorcraft plugs from the factory. The first time it blew I was able to re insert a new plug and torque it down however it blew again 3 months later. Now the threads are damaged from the plug beating around and 2 coil packs destroyed. Both times it blew the coil pack was beating the crap out of my fuel rail. I have seen pictures where this same problem has caused fires in other peoples Ford Trucks. This is not only a fire hazard but an electrocution hazard as the spring is exposed in the coil pack after the blowout.
I had taken it to a local Ford dealership here in Chesterfield Michigan because I heard an engine knock on the same side the plug blewlastyear. I guess they never found anything. Now I know after reading all the posts everywhere online that the engine knock was the plug vibrating loose. Could Ford have known this was an issue and ignored it at the time I took it in? I hope not, I love my Excursion. [/align]Imagine what it is going to cost all of us every time this happens over and over again. It could potentially cost us more than what we paid for the vehicle to replace the Heads every time it happens. It will for sure drive down the resale value at the least and eventually it would not be cost effective to replace the heads as it will cost more that what the vehicle is worth. [/align][/align]Here are my questions:[/align][/align]Has Ford put out a TSB to replace the heads with an improved model or a TSB for a repair to the blown plug hole threads?[/align][/align]What should I do?[/align][/align]What do I need to know and have when dealing with Ford?[/align][/align]Will Ford pay for part of the Head replacement?[/align][/align]Should I go with the thread repair kits online instead and do it myself?[/align][/align]Thank you for your help.[/align][/align] Jack[/align]