General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

starting problem. ive tried everything. and i mean everything

Old 10-20-2006, 01:01 AM
Default starting problem. ive tried everything. and i mean everything

alright before i ask for help lemme start with the problem and what ive already tried to do to fix it. when u turn the key all it does is clicks. its not a dead battery repetitive click but one single click when i turn the key forward then a click when i release. its on a 92 f250 with the 460 7.5.when i tried to start it the first time it turned over slowly a few times, then nothing. at first i thought the battery was dead. no biggie. i hooked the cables up and tried to start it. the volt meter on the dash read normal so i tried it. all i got was click. then i figured id let it charge a few minutes. tried it again from jumping the silinoid. no slow turning this time just click on and when i released. i went and baught a sellinoid and replaced it. still nothing. i went and baught a starter. replaced the starter and still just a click. i tested my old starter at advanced auto parts and t was fine. so i went and put a new battery in it. nothing still. so ive replaced everything but the battery cables. finally i bypassed the sellinoid and ran jumper cables from the battery to the starter itself. truck started. i drove it home turned it off and went to buy a possitive cable. i replaced the cable and now i still cant get it to start. every one tells me its a connection problem. the only connection i havent replaced is the battery ground and ive even used my jumpers to ground it to the frame directly. the positive cable is very hot and even with another truck hooked to it with cables it doesnt start. i dont know what it could be. the starter just clicks like its kicking over then not spinning. the only thing i could see it possibly being is that the flywheel is bent or just not lined up some how but i dont know the internals very well so i dont know how possible that is. oh yeah and i cant even jump it with th cables from the battery to the starter like i did to get it home. please any one help me. i have a feeling that this is just a typical ford problem but no one i know has been able to come up with anythong useful yet. thanks a lot.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Default RE: starting problem. ive tried everything. and i mean everything

You check your timing belt that could through it off.

Josh

Old 10-20-2006, 11:55 AM

im confused. i could understand it being the belt if the motor turned over but all it does is kicks over the pendix or whatever its called. it doesnt spin.???

Old 10-20-2006, 12:53 PM

This engine dose not have a timing belt

Old 10-20-2006, 03:29 PM

i guess that makes me look like a dumbass, huh?lol any ideas then? as far as i know ive replaced everything for that system. all there is to it(and please correct me if im wrong) is the possy and ground cables(possitive has been replaced), the ignition switch(which its trying to start when i turn the key, so that should be fine), the neutral safety switch(same with ignition, it tries to start), the sellinoid(brand new, properly installed), starter(tried a new one,didnt work, then reinstalled a old one, worked when i bypassed the power cable).im not sure if theres any fuses and relays. i dont have the owners manual for the fusebox under the hood and theres nothing for ignition under the dash. so seeing as to how my old starter worked when i ran jumper cables from the battery to it, the old starter should be fine and all i should need is a new possy cable. after i tried the new cable nothing changed. after tinkering with it for a few minutes i finally got to where i was getting nothin at all. i took the starter off and im going to put the new one back on and ill let you all know what happens. till then any tech support would be greatly appreciated.
ORIGINAL: 94 4x4 ranger

This engine dose not have a timing belt

Old 10-22-2006, 11:11 PM

yeah guys i got it figured out. when i replaced just the starter i guess it wasnt enough. after i changed the cable the old starter took a complete shart on me. when i replaced the cable and the starter it started with no hesitation whatsoever. this was a tough one at first but i got it all done.next is a water pump. its leakin at the wheepholes i hope thas all i gotta worry bout for now. preciate it. peace.